Monday, July 26, 2010

Summertime: It ain't what it used to be

It's my last week of summer vacation. By my accounts, it lasted about 6 days, 4 hours and some odd minutes. What ever happened to the days when summer lasted too long? Those long days sitting at home with nothing to do, bored out of your mind, sick to death of watching TV and eating junk food. It's true what they say. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

It's my own fault I suppose. I spent way too much time looking forward to summer vacation. I think I started planning my itinerary back in November. After all, I'd been at work for 4 whole months by then and it was getting old. I had big plans. BIG PLANS.

The Ocho and I would spend at least 3 days a week at the pool. We'd go to movies. We'd go shopping. We'd go to the Frist Center & Cheekwood. And I'd have at least one girl's night out a week. Me & my Peeps would go to dinner and see movies and hang out talking about our hair and our kids and the latest issue of People Magazine.

I also intended to get all those odd chores around the house out of the way. Like printing out the 3476 digital pictures I have on my computer dated back to 2003. I'd also clean out every closet and wash every baseboard and dust every ceiling fan.

You've probably guessed that most of that never happened. And I certainly don't intend to get any of it done this week. So rather than dwell on past regrets let's recap the Wood Life Top 10 Summer Moments.

10. Handiman builds the fence. (The backyard fence is the single greatest invention of the modern century. Amen and Amen.)

9. The Ocho heads to Cross Camp and returns with everything she packed.

8. Ice Cream Sundae night with my Peeps. It was the one and only time we all got together this summer. (Seriously girls? That's ridiculous.)

7. Teaching 4th grade Sunday School. Easily my favorite church gig ever.

6. "Beauty and The Beast" at TPAC.

5. The Ocho rides a bike!

4. Surviving "The Talk - Part 1".

3. Oblivious Rob's fireworks finale shocker on the 4th of July. I will NEVER forget it.

2. Decorating "The Wizard of Oz" room.

1. Going to the Beach as a family for the first time in 5 years. Yes, we got sunburned, spent too much money and came back more exhausted than before we left. And we'll never let 5 years pass before we do it all again.

So, farewell summer vacation. I guess you served me pretty well. Until next year.....



post signature

3 comments:

Tonya Lee said...

So thrilled we made the top 10- well, sort of. You really could've gone into more detail about why you love it (i.e. awesome co-teachers)!

Big Nanny said...

1)Summer, what summer? I haven't had a summer yet?
2) I can't believe taking me to Mt.Pleasant didn't make the list:)

Tammy said...

Seriously.....you have less than 4,000 pictures on your computer. *cough* I might have 3 or 4 times that.