So, my first resolution for the New Year is to be a better blogger. It shouldn't be too hard to improve on pathetic.
Although I didn't document all that I should have, I documented enough to know that 2010 has shown me a pretty good time. It's also been a year of extremes.
We had the snowiest winter I can remember followed by one of the hottest summers on record. We also had rain and lots of it. We watched the flood waters rise and destroy so much of what makes Nashville unique and wonderful. Then we watched the community rise up and show the world we don't need their media coverage or their help. We'll do it ourselves. And that, it turns out, is really what makes Nashville unique and wonderful.
My circle of friends went to extremes this year too. One took a big step out of her comfort zone and started the year in Africa ministering to orphans. That trip spawned a revolution within our church with more groups going, a ministry forming, a family moving and another on of my friends adopting not one but two boys who've made a trash dump in Ethiopia their home. Other friends have moved through extreme heartache, extreme disappointment, extreme anxiousness and extreme depression. But they've come out on the other side extremely hopeful. And I'm extremely grateful to have walked the road alongside them.
As for my family, we've been extremely blessed. We've gone sledding, built a fence, camped in the back yard, hosted a hotel slumber party and taken 2 family vacations. We've been employed, paid our bills, stayed healthy, laughed loudly and loved greatly. In times such as these, that's just a God thing.
When I remember 2010 I'll think of things like playing in the snow and having my first sledding injury, wading through the flood waters, ripping insulation from the church walls along hundreds of volunteers, including many who didn't even attend our church. I'll remember hiking to Laurel Falls, horseback riding at Walden Creek and riding Thunderhead at Dollywood. I'll think of vacationing in Ft. Walton despite the Oil Spill, Big Kahuna's and crab hunting. I'll remember Chihuly at Cheekwood and Secret Keeper Girls. I'll remember the lights of the restored Opryland Hotel, the Rockettes and the living nativity and the Spring Hill Festivus Pole.
I'll think of the thrift store prosthesis, the playground ukulele, the Hot Dog sign, The Adventures of Flat Nanny, The Big Bible of Mt. Pleasant, the berm known as "Ocho Island" and Molly's great escape and blindfolded makeovers.
I'll think of 8 dancing Robyns and a bow-making competition, an ice cream sundae party, the Amazima dinner with Katie, Tracey's hip hop hoedown, laser tag with Price & the gang, Dave's Christmas teddy bear, Jason's jingle in the trunk & Big Nanny's gingerbread man face. And the return of Creepy One-Armed Dolly. (Hmmmm, I wonder whatever happened to her?)
I'll remember 4th grade Sunday school, reading Radical, Deeper Still, Jesus Calling, Alli's healing, a picture of Mary and a rainbow in Africa, just for me.
And as for my daughter, I'll remember defacing Hannah Montana, Cross Camp, The Lawrenceburg nativity scene, the great bike crash, The Wizard of Oz room, The Talk - Part 1, 4th grade homework, the Suite Life Birthday extravaganza, a broken heart on a piece of notebook paper, her first recorder performance, The Silly Party with Looc & E-Dud and pierced ears.
So long 2010. You've been simply delightful.
And as for my daughter, I'll remember defacing Hannah Montana, Cross Camp, The Lawrenceburg nativity scene, the great bike crash, The Wizard of Oz room, The Talk - Part 1, 4th grade homework, the Suite Life Birthday extravaganza, a broken heart on a piece of notebook paper, her first recorder performance, The Silly Party with Looc & E-Dud and pierced ears.
So long 2010. You've been simply delightful.



1 comment:
I love this post and so happy to be a part of it (and not in a negative scarred your daughter way). Looc and Edud are some of my favorite memories of this year too :) You have also given me the quote of the year, "It's not to hard to improve on pathetic." That will be my mantra for 2011 goals!
Post a Comment