Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Pomp & Circumstance

"I like the way children look on their first day of kindergarten....from the front. Not from the back." Beth Moore



Today was Lydia's kindergarten graduation. It seems like just yesterday Dave and I were driving away from the school after having dropped her off that first day. We both cried like babies all the way home. After losing Rebekah, it seemed like a cruel blow to be sending Lydia off to school. We were losing too much too fast. I have to admit that I was also a little worried about my sweet girl. The two of us had been hanging out for 5 years and I felt I knew her better than anyone. I knew she could be painfully shy (just like her mom at that age) and extremely sensitive and scared. We took her from this safe, controlled bubble we had created for her and dropped her into a far away place with a bunch of strangers. I just knew she'd crumble (just like her mom at that age). Boy did she prove me wrong.

I'm so proud that she learned to read, add, subtract and memorize scripture. But more than any of that, I'm proud that her teacher called her "a pleasure". I'm proud that every single kid in her class considers her their friend. I'm proud that she learned to love school and love learning.

I learned a few things myself. I learned that a 30 minute ride to school doesn't seem that long when you're singing "Hannah Montana" songs and making up stories. I learned to love reading to her class every Wednesday. I learned that being called "Mrs. Wood" can make you feel kind of powerful. I learned that a couple of her friends thought I was "a cool mom" because I pushed them on the swings. More than anything, I learned to let go. My baby girl is growing up. As sad as it seems, I'm so excited for the future. She is turning out to be an exceptional young lady.


Way to go baby girl! We are so proud of you!!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Teresa, I know I have said this before but you do such a good job with this blog. I can't tell you how many times I check it to see if you have put anything new up. Lydia is just beautiful and just blessed to have you and David as her parents!

Ashley said...

WOW!!! So grown up in that cap and gown, so beautiful, so sweet, so proud to call her friend.