By now it shouldn't be a surprise to any of you that our family has a vested interest in this year's American Idol, at least not if you're my friend on Facebook.
I was a devoted fan of the show for many years but felt the need to step away a few seasons ago. Thankfully, I missed the whole Kara/Ellen debacle and honestly had no intention of rejoining when I heard that Steven Tyler & Jennifer Lopez had been picked as the new judges. That just seemed to have train wreck written all over it.
And American Idol without Simon? No thank you.
Then everything changed. We got word that 2 of Handiman's cousins had tried out during the Nashville auditions and word was they were headed to Hollywood. So back on the bandwagon we jumped.
The 2 cousins in question are Colton & Schyler Dixon, children of Mike & Teresa. Mike & Dave grew up together and much of their misspent youth was spent together. Oh the stories they can tell. And now that Colton is on the brink of stardom I've warned Handiman that TMZ might dig up a few of those stories while searching for dirt on his family. Fortunately, I think the statute of limitations has run out and they are free from the threat of prosecution. But still.
Anyhoo, back to Colton & Schyler. They both made it to Hollywood and all the way to the group round. Unfortunately Schyler was cut but Colton remained. They even gave him about 10 seconds of actual air time. You can check him out HERE around the 35 second mark.
It's been kind of fun to have some insider info along the way. For instance we now know for sure that Ryan Seacrest wears lifts in his shoes. And that Hollywood Week is actually as bad as they make it out to be. And that J Lo and Steven Tyler are nice people. Who would have thought? We also got some tips on a few of the contestants. I won't divulge much here but let's just say that that some of those folks with the sweet backstories? Not. Very. Nice.
I should also mention that The Ocho has been playing the "I've got a cousin on American Idol" card at school. So far, it's made her the coolest kid in her class. One little girl even asked if she could touch her arm. Seriously.
As of right now we know that Colton's made the Top 60 and on Wednesday night they'll narrow it down to 40. Then on Thursday the Top 24 will be revealed. Obviously we'd love to see Colton make it and there is no doubt that he has the talent, stage presence and ambition to go all the way. However, it's been proven (Taylor Hicks) time and time again (Fantasia) that American Idol (Lee DeWhat's His Name) isn't necessarily looking for the most talented or the most deserving. They prefer average talent or wacky personality. Or straight-up crazy.
For instance, how do you explain Crazy Panic Attack Ashley still being in the competition? Handiman is rooting for her to make it so he can watch her have a nervous breakdown on live TV.
And how about good ole Scotty "baby lock dem doors" McCreery. Dude. Learn another song.
And then theirs sweet little Jacee. He's the chubby 15 year old kid who's voice is even higher than Justin Beiber's. Now I don't want to sound heartless but Jacee is not star material. He's a sweet kid with a good voice. He should be trying out for his school play or singing in church. I'm all for an underdog but I fear this kid is headed for emotional disaster. The poor thing barely survived being bullied by another contestant. How is he going to survive the Internet scrutiny that is surely heading his way? These judges aren't doing him any favors in my opinion.
And don't get me started on Lauren from Georgia. Yes she can sing. And she'll probably do well. And if her relentless flirting with Steven Tyler is any indication she and Miley Cyrus might become the best of friends. Girl, you are 15 years old. Stop acting like a floozy.
By the way, I do have some favorites. I think Casey is cool and Thia is cute as a button. And I also really like that Colton Dixon. : )
I have no doubt God's got big plans for him. If he makes it this week we will be over the moon excited for him and his family. If he doesn't we'll know it was for the best. But before that we'll probably get really mad. I mean, I got really mad when they booted Mandisa and her parents weren't in my wedding.
Both Colton & Schyler are incredibly talented kids. And better yet they are both completley sold out to Christ. We are proud of both of them for making it so far and look forward to what the future holds.
Good luck Colton!




1 comment:
Bring back Colton!!!
Post a Comment