Week one of 2013 is almost a wrap and so far, so good. No major catastrophes so I'll consider it a successful year so far.
New Year's Day was a low-key event for most of my family. Handiman and Little Ocho decided to face off in a "don't take a bath, stay in your pjs and watch TV all day" competition. They ended the day in a tie.
I on the other had spent the day killing Christmas. This was a phrase coined by my daughter as she watched her 5th episode of Spongebob for the day. As I walked around her dismantling the mantles, packing the decorations and throwing out all the cookies and candy that was her major source of sustenance for a few weeks, she turned it into a song. "Mommy's killing Christmas, and she doesn't know it's killing meeeeeeeee."
I'm pretty sure what was killing her was the sugar overload and non-stop Spongebob watching, but she can blame me if she wants. In a year or so, everything will be my fault anyway.
Handiman's only job for the day was taking down the bare Christmas tree and carrying it out of the living room and into the garage. But that day it was cold and rainy and, since he'd have to take it outside and bring it around the house, he opted to wait.
It's still in the living room.
Wednesday was my last official vacation day since teachers had to report for meetings on Thursday. I took The Ocho out to lunch and we went shopping at TJ Maxx Home Goods and Stein Mart. I was unaware that Stein Mart had a Vera Bradley section. Won't be making that mistake again with my VB obsessed daughter in tow.
On Thursday Ocho got to spend the day with her friend Chase while I went back to work. It was an exciting day filled with meetings about dress code changes and SAT testing dates and a free Subway lunch. And while the morning meetings are a blur, the afternoon was more serious. We went over some changes in safety policies given recent events and all the talk about what to do in a lockdown situation was a little unnerving. Especially since my classroom is right beside the front entrance and I'm surrounded by windows. So, I'll be the first one to go, no doubt. I do appreciate the measures our school is taking though, and I do feel safer and more confident in the safety of my daughter. But I do wish we could board up my wall of windows.
Yesterday I took the Ocho to spend some of her Christmas money at Game Stop. She came home with a Wii game she had played at Chase's house called Go Vacation. She disappeared to play it around 12:30 and I didn't see her again until dinner time. At least Spongebob isn't on it.
I spent the day cleaning and reading a book I picked up at the library. I chose a Jodi Picoult book I'd never heard of called "Nineteen Minutes". I picked it solely based on the very vague synopsis on the sleeve and and the cover with simply has to hands clasped together.
Turns out it's about a school shooting.
It was actually written a few years ago but the similarities with Connecticut are kind of creepy. And the chapters from the viewpoint of the shooter, who was severely bullied, are unnerving. But, I'm hooked.
Since we're on the subject of my extra curricular entertainment choices, I have always been very open on the blog about my TV viewing and book reading choices. I won't stop now but I'm sure I will prove a disappointment to many.
I will confess I read "sTori Telling" last week (Tori Spellings first book). As an avid 90201 watcher in the 90's and a Selling Spelling Manor watcher on HGTV last year, I was intrigued. And all the Hollywood crazy displayed on the pages did not disappoint.
And now I'm gonna lay it all out there and confess that I spent Tuesday night watching the season premier of Dance Moms. Because I've watched the last 2 season in their entirety, so why stop now? Actually, this week's episode made me cringe more than most and I'm seriously reconsidering my Dance Mom's vice. The other shows I currently follow are The Middle (hilarious comedy and Patricia Heaton in a Hollywood hero), Duck Dynasty (goes without saying) and Nashville (I started watching to see the locations and kept watching because Deacon is all kinds of cute). I'm also devoted to watching the last season of The Office even though I took the last 2 years off when Michael left. It just wasn't the same. But this season, so far, has been awesome.
So there, I've come clean. Don't judge. Just know, no matter how much TV it looks like I'm watching from the previous paragraph, it in no way qualifies me to compete with the other 2 members of my household. And I take great pride that Spongebob was NOT on the list.


No comments:
Post a Comment