Monday, January 7, 2013

Party Planner

I decided 10 years ago that if you wanted a birthday party done right, you had to do it yourself.  That's why back then I threw myself a 34th birthday bash that included my best girlfriends, a penthouse hotel room, a limo and our very first pyramid.
Pyramid circa 2003

(I will have to say that these same girlfriends came through and gave me the BEST party when I turned 40 and I didn't have to plan a thing.  Click HERE to see that groovy celebration.)

Since this wasn't a milestone year, I figured nobody was making any plans so I once again decided to do it myself.  I gave Handiman and The Ocho my list of demands a week ago and then proceeded to remind them everyday, a few times a day, "You know, my birthday is on Saturday."

Now, this might all seem selfish and over-the-top to you but I've come to discover that I'm married to a man who doesn't exactly plan ahead.  For anything.  And he's been known to shop for my birthday on the afternoon of my birthday.  And I'm not havin' any of that anymore.

And besides, my demands weren't all that unreasonable.

My first request was that THEY cook ME breakfast.  Pancakes to be exact.  And I got my wish.  And they were delicious.  (Bonus points:  They also did the dishes!)

I also requested my present be given to me at breakfast (so I would know they had actually shopped prior to the day).  It was placed on the table (wrapped!) before we ate.  I received a beautiful cut crystal cake stand.  I had asked for a new one when the one we received as a wedding gift was broken in our move.  (Bonus points:  They actually listened and remembered what I asked for!) 

Next on the list was lunch at Olive Garden.  My favorite lunch of all time is their Chicken & Gnocchi soup, salad and bread sticks.  It was just as heavenly as I had hoped it would be.  Little Ocho doesn't actually like Olive Garden and wasn't all that excited.  Did I care?  Nope.  It was MY birthday.  And I've suffered through enough Happy Meals and cold pizza birthdays for her.  And at the end of it all, she became a Chicken & Gnocchi soup fan too.


The food was only enhanced by the enriching and thought provoking conversation with these two hooligans

Next stop was Gigi's Cupcakes.  Because a birthday isn't a birthday until you eat something with icing.  My choice was the Peppermint Patty cupcake.  And it was all kinds of awesome.


After stuffing ourselves we headed to Hobby Lobby to appreciate it and enjoy some marked down home decor.  We also handed off The Ocho to the Ellis family for a sleepover so Handiman and I could head to the most anticipated birthday stop of the day.


When I first saw the trailer months ago I knew then and there it would be my birthday destination.  I have been in love with this music for decades and, while I've never seen the play, I've known the story and always dreamed of seeing it on the New York stage.  The Cool Springs movie screen will have to suffice for now.  So, did I love it?  Did it live up to expectations?  Did I openly weep like a hot mess?

Yes, yes and ohmywordofcourseIdid.  And for those thinking I tricked poor Handiman into suffering through it with me, think again.  He already knew the music and story too.  (Bonus points:  He loved it as well!)

It was amazing and spectacular and everything I'd hoped for.  In fact, I'll say it's on my Top 5 favorite movies list.  And that's a tough list to infiltrate.

All in all, I planned myself a wonderful birthday.  And I appreciate my family playing along.  Thanks for the cards, gifts and Facebook well wishes.  I think 44 will be Les Fabuleux.

No comments: