Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Very Brady Birthday

Last night I once again fell prey to the deception of those I trust the most. I was told I was going to dinner with my husband. (How many times am I going to fall for that?) Instead he drove me up to the doors of our church and escorted me inside. There I found all my peeps, my parents, my in-laws & the Little Ocho waiting to surprise me with the Ultimate Party Experience.

Before I hit the door I heard the theme song. Then as I rounded the corner I saw the costumes. And I knew.......I was in for the best night ever.

They were throwing me a Brady Bunch Birthday Party!!!

(I'm sure by now all of you may be sick and tired of hearing about my wonderful friends. And you're thinking that I'm spoiled rotten. And that I've had enough birthday parties for one year. You probably want to take all my trophies off the shelf and throw them into the closet. Or break my nose with a football. If that's the case you might want to stop reading here.)

You've probably noticed by now that our group doesn't do things on a small scale. We figure if you're going to do something, do it right. I've been on the planning end of these extravaganzas and I thought I'd seen it all. I was as wrong as Greg Brady in the Johnny Bravo suit.

Costume parties are our specialty, and while I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to dress up in my best Marcia-wear, I quickly got over it when I stepped back to enjoy the creativity of everybody in attendance. The Afro wigs! The polyester and pantyhose! The leisure suits! The platform shoes! The hip huggers! The chest hair! It was almost too much for my heart to stand.

They were projecting episodes of the show onto one wall (using my DVD's which were stolen from right under my nose). They had a buffet of the finest comfort food Cracker Barrel has to offer and 2 kinds of cake. The tables were decorated with relics from the 70's (dishes, albums and 45's) and everyone had an "All About Teresa" word scramble to complete. There were photo displays of me in every stage of life lining one wall. My friend Andrea even brought her stereo turntable and speakers to make things really authentic.

But, as with every Peep party ever thrown, what really made the night special was the entertainment. I'm not sure why I didn't see it coming but I didn't. I knew my friends had disappeared for a while and there was probably a costume change taking place but I couldn't have predicted what was about to happen. My life was about to be made complete.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I present my friends as......



Can you stand it??????? I couldn't. I had barely recovered when Handiman appeared wearing a Davy Jones wig and serenaded me with his best lip-synced version of "Girl, look what you've done to me". No, I'm not kidding.

After that fine display of Brady talent I was challenged on my trivia skills with my bud JT playing game show host. (He had on the most authentic Mike Brady outfit and wig you have ever seen.) I found some of his questions impossible (What was Sam's last name? No idea.) but others I nailed on the spot (How many sets of sliding doors did they have? Easy Peasy. That would be 3. The name of the cousin that came to live with them? Oliver...obviously. Who's nickname was "Scoop"? Don't insult my intelligence. It was Peter.)

Then it was time for Karaoke! JT kicked things off with a stirring rendition of "Fancy". Throughout the evening we heard thought-provoking and often frightening interpretations of classics like "That's What I Like About You", "Super Freak", "I Will Survive", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Lean On Me", "Dancing Queen" and "You've Got to Fight For Your Right To Party".

(Last night we all discovered that Big Nanny is as passionate about Karaoke as she is about Preschool ministry and Fried Green Beans. Maybe more so. And speaking of Big Nanny, she managed to marry the two greatest TV loves of my life when she walked up to me with her feathered hair and polyester skirt and said "Hi, I'm Angela. I'm the president of the party-planning committee." It was Pop Culture Utopia.)

After dancing the night away to the Cha-Cha Slide, the Cupid Shuffle and The Electric Slide, we closed things out with "YMCA".

It was the grooviest night of my life.

For those of you wanting photos, you'll have to wait. Because it was a surprise, I wasn't armed with my camera. I'll be collecting the pictures from everyone and making a slideshow to post really soon. So stay tuned.

Thanks to everybody who planned, decorated, danced and attended. You guys are Far Out!

post signature

6 comments:

Big Nanny said...

I'm amazed that you can get home at 11 p.m and have this posted before I even roll out of bed. That's the scariest thing that ever hit youtube. I really wasn't done with the karaoke. It was rude how you all started packing stuff up while I was still singing!

Tammy said...

The things you miss when you don't live in TN.

This is awesome.

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Um, no one ever mentioned this was going on youtube! I must say the best part is watching Rob. What exactly is he doing? :) GO GIRLS!

Gena said...

Words can't tell you how sad I was that I couldn't make the party - and especially now that I'm starting to read the reports. But that's not going to be enough for me. I'm going to need to hear you relive it in your own words! (But I will NOT let you sing to me!)

Anonymous said...

I thought I had made a youtube pact with you all...Now we have to practice more and more, just in case. ;) Yep, one time late after a New Year's Eve party will not cut it anymore. We have to raise the bar; "stylize" you might say. :) I appreciate the back row for carrying us!

Love,
Tracey

Anonymous said...

The ladies definitely rocked the freestyle phase of the performance. Rob, to answer Nicole, was soooo being Rob. I haven't laughed that hard since the bike suit. I must say that the guys nailed the "sprinkler". The timing was perfection. My mom used to say that embarassing moments build character. I can honestly say that I have enough character to last at least until January 14th, 2010...give or take. :-)

KJ