Friday, January 9, 2009

Something's gotta give

I'm not much for new year's resolutions but since this was a milestone year for me I've been a bit more inclined to take a good look at the way I'm spending my time and make a few changes.

While I have every intention of cutting back on soft drinks, finding a way to get a little exercise here and there and become more regimented about a quiet time, these are not the things I will focus on here. Instead I want to document a couple of monumental decisions that could truly alter the course of my 40th year.

First, I'm going to make every attempt to read at least 1 book every month. Reading "Same Kind of Different As Me" has inspired me on many levels. In particular, it's reminded me how much I love books, especially great ones. So, if you're one of my read-all-the-time friends, give me some suggestions about books you've loved. But I'll just say right now I'm not going to read "The Shack" or any of those vampire books. And you can't make me.

Now, with all the time I'll be spending reading (and playing Pathwords) I'll have less time for TV watching. This means I've had to evaluate and make some tough decisions. Obviously, I can not sacrifice "The Office". And "Lost" has been off for months and FINALLY comes back at the end of this month. That's not the kind of show you can just abandon after investing 4 years of your life, so I'm keeping it.

You know that that means? Yep. I'm saying good-bye this season to an old, faithful friend:


I may tune in for the finals but that's all the time I'll be giving it this year. Besides, I know they're making a few changes this season and I'm not one to embrace change. I mean, when "Three's Company" replaced Chrissy I was done. And when 90210 lost Dylan & Brenda I couldn't take it. And when "Alias" decided to kill Vaughn I was outta there. I even made The Ocho stop watching "Blue's Clue's" when they replaced Steve with Joe. I'm pretty rigid about my TV personalities.

So, there you have it. More books. Less Simon, Randy & Paula.

I'm feeling smarter already.

post signature

3 comments:

Gena said...

Oh my word, I'm not even sure we can be friends anymore.

Big Nanny said...

I will still be your friend because I have not watched consistently in the last 2 years. I'm very impressed with your consistent posts this week. I wish I could get on the bandwagon:)

Tammy said...

*gasp* You are going to give up, what?! I am not reading this.
I'm gonna have to go with Gena on this one.

You need a laptop so you can play PathWords AND watch AI simultaneously, like me! :-)