Monday, January 12, 2009

The party's (almost) over

I promise that this will be my very last birthday story for the year. No. I mean it. Even if somebody surprises me with 40 days and 40 nights in Hawaii as a birthday gift I will not blog about it. Ever.

But, this story has to be told. You see, the Brady Bunch party wasn't my only surprise party on Friday.

Around 10:30 that morning I was out in the hallway going about my usual duties of listening to kindergartner's read when my buddy Mrs. Wahlman came out of her classroom and asked if I was almost done. Since I was reading with a little girl who wasn't particularly up to speed-reading status yet I told her it might be a few minutes. She said "Perfect!" and ran down the hall. When she returned she had something behind her back and told me and the child I was reading with to come with her.

I knew immediately that something was up. I saw the lights were out and things were uncharacteristically quiet. She paused for a few seconds then flung opened the door.

All at once the lights came on and 36 kindergartner's jumped out from under the desks and yelled "SURPRISE!!!" at the top of their lungs. Then they began to sing. At the top of their lungs. It was a rowdy, raucous and very sweet sight.

It was at that moment I felt the little girl with me grab tightly onto my arm and pull at me rather forcefully. When I looked down at her she was staring at me with a look of complete terror and desperation.

That's when she screamed "BUT MRS. WOOD!! IT'S NOT MY BIRTHDAY!!!!"

Bless her heart. She was terrified that her classmates had been grossly misinformed and she didn't want the responsibility of breaking it to them.

Thankfully, I reassured her the party was for me. It was with much relief that she said "Oh.....that's good". Then she sat down to enjoy her cake and punch.

To be honest, maybe I should have let that party be for her. I've obviously had my fair share.



post signature

No comments: