Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Week's Worth of Wood

The first full week of August proved to be an eventful one at the Wood house. Here's a rundown of what took place:

We spent the first part of the week at the pool. Yes, I realize it was over 100 degrees and the stomach cramps I had at the end of the day from dehydration were a wonderful reminder. It's just that these were our last play days before.....

Lydia started 1st grade! Her first day was Wednesday and she loves it. She has the sweetest teacher and a few of her best buddies from last year in class with her. They worked on a big addition including new classrooms all last year and this was our first chance to see it. It's really beautiful and so great to see the pride everyone is taking in it. We are so thankful for Zion!!!

On Wednesday I talked with the teacher about volunteer opportunities and she asked if I would like to be the "Thursday Mom" in her class. I told her yes without realizing that I would have to start the next day. I have to say it was a lot of work but I had a total blast. I know most of the kids already and enjoyed working with them. The only tense moment came when the teacher asked me to put up a bulletin board. Those of you who know the extent of my craft-challenged disorder can no doubt picture the look of horror I had on my face. It all worked out though. It wasn't too complicated and luckily the teacher doesn't consider herself too crafty either so her expectations were low. My favorite part of the day was listening to Mrs. Wahlman read stories to the class. She is one of those people who doesn't just read, she performs. She is an amazing mimic and has a definite flare for the dramatic. During Bible, she was telling the creation story and I found myself sitting there with my mouth gaping open and tears in my eyes just from the way she said "Let there be light!" I can't wait for story time next week!!!


While Lydia and I were busy at school, you may be wondering what Dave was doing. Well wonder no more. He decided his next home improvement project would be a built-in entertainment center in our bonus room. Sure it sounds great in theory. Then you come home at 3:00pm to find a giant square hole in the wall that is sucking all the air conditioning out and it's 103 degrees.

There is also 3 inches of dust on everything in the room from the router and sander. I'm happy to report that as of today, all that is left is the painting. I'm unhappy to report that Dave seems to have lost his mojo and isn't really that interested in painting. I should also add that he shot himself in the finger with the nail gun on Thursday. It's not the first time he's done that and I'm sure it won't be the last.


So, that brings us to today. I don't know if it was all the excitement, the heat, the dust or all of the above but I woke up today feeling really sick. I'm not sure what the deal was but I've been nauseous, had a splitting headache, a low grade fever and body aches all over. I spent most of the day in bed trying to sleep but every 10 minutes Lydia would bring Molly in to "say hello". I still feel a little cruddy but hopefully I'll be better tomorrow.

That's it for this weeks update. Now we are coming upon the most important week of the year at my house. For those of you who don't have kids old enough to understand the phenomenon that is "High School Musical 2" then you wouldn't understand. Let's just say that August 17th is more important to my daughter than Christmas at this point. Is it wrong that I'm pretty psyched for it too?

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Girl! We can't wait until Friday night at this house either. "Wildcats everywhere....raise your hands up in the air.....everybody's singing....."