Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mean Mom

Like so many do in this great country, I long to make a difference in the life of our children. They are the future of this great nation and are dependent on those of us with wisdom and experience to guide them and mold them. When my daughter started school I decided to take action. I want to pour into the lives of these young, innocent sweethearts and be remembered for my efforts.

Last year I volunteered as a library reader for Lydia's class. It was a great opportunity to get to know all of her classmates since her school is very small. I was able to get to know each kindergartner by name and by the end of the year I could classify them all pretty accurately and estimate which ones would find a cure for cancer and which ones will end up convicted felons.

Over the course of the year I found most of the kids to be blessings. I loved them and they loved me. However, I found one of them to be....how should I put this?????......devoid of blessing. I will refrain from naming names. I'll just say that this little angel from heaven made the mistake of picking on my daughter in the restroom one afternoon and reducing her to an emotional wreck. Big mistake. An even bigger mistake was choosing to spit in my face the first week I was there....on purpose.

I know Jesus teaches to forgive, turn the other cheek and all that. I tried. I really did. But I will admit that it was hard not to have a little extra dose of "sit down and be quiet" for her whenever I was there. If you're a mom, you get it. Each week I would look for ways to get under her skin and rob her of any enjoyment she might have during library. She couldn't talk, couldn't move, definitely couldn't spit. I wanted her to remember me long after kindergarten library was over.

Today I received news that makes me feel vindicated, accomplished and down-right giddy. Dave went to school to have lunch with Lydia and the little cherub in question quickly began quizzing him on who he was and why he was there. When he explained that he was Lydia's dad, she asked what his wife's name was. She put two and two together and quickly realized he was married to me. She lowered her voice, hung her head and whispered "oooh, she's mean."

Mission Accomplished.

3 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

AWSOME!!! You are kind of mean! :)

Anonymous said...

That, my friend, is hysterical!

Tammy said...

Bravo girl!! I believe we are cut from the same "mommy cloth".