Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Weekend Wrap-Up

As promised, I'm back to fill you in on the goings-on of the Wood family weekend. I'll kick things off by letting you know that for me this weekend is 4 days long. I've been savin' up my days at work and decided by mid-March I'd be entitled to a little rest and relaxation so I took Friday & this coming Monday off. And I must say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Friday I took advantage of the sunshine and took a 2 mile walk at the park. I also finished up most of my errands and housework so I'd be free for the Easter Dress Shopping Spree with the Ocho on Saturday.

We hit the road around 10:00 and I let her do something she's never done before. (I realize posting this here will open me up to all sorts of criticism and judgements but I don't mind. Go ahead and judge me.....)

I let her sit in the front seat of the car. All the way to the mall. And all the way home. (For the record, I already informed my Mom so the harshest judgement has already been rendered.)

I must say it was eye-opening for both of us. It gave her a different perspective and closer access to the CD player controls and the gum in my purse. But it gave me a different perspective too. Sitting in the back she seems younger, smaller. In the front, she had her legs crossed and was waving her hands while she told me stories about friends and school. She sang along with the Jonas Brothers CD and even joined me in a synchronized head-bob to "The Year 3000". She looked and acted so grown up. Part of me thought about how little time it's going to take for me to be the one in the passenger seat. And while I know I'll miss the little girl, I got a glimpse at how much I'm going to love hanging out with the young woman. She's gonna be pretty cool.

But enough of that.

We hit the mall and found her Easter dress in record time. Then we shopped for a few more outfits, had lunch at the Food Court and took the obligatory trip to Target before heading home. As soon as we walked through the door, the young woman disappeared and the the little girl was back. We cuddled on my bed and watched "The Princess and The Frog" while munching popcorn and sipping sweet tea.

Handiman had to work most of the day so he missed out on all the shopping, JoBro tunes and princess movies. You can imagine his regret. But he had a pretty eventful day all his own.

He met a local newscaster celebrity and made a big sale to a little old lady who gave him a big kiss on the cheek. (Last week another old lady held his hand and told him he was "the most handsome salesman to ever visit her house.") I'm not kidding when I say he's found his niche. And as long as he's making money he has my permission to flirt with every grandmother he meets.

Today's been pretty gloomy for a Sunday, and it's not just the rain that's brought me down. I've got lots of friends facing heavy emotional and physical battles right now and many of them were at church this morning. It's tough to watch good people suffer. It just is.

Then there's this whole health care bill which has pretty much destroyed what little optimism I had about our country's future. Hello socialism, come in and make yourself at home.

Then, to top it all off, we've got some huge financial decisions of our own to make as a family in the next month or so and today they've seemed to linger on my mind. I probably won't go into details here but I would ask that you pray for us. I firmly believe that God can make a way where there seems to be no way. He's done it before. I'm praying he'll do it again.

post signature

1 comment:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Praying for you . . . and just for the record, I realize how much I annoyed my mother with the radio when Selah sits in the front seat with me. SHE DRIVES ME NUTS!!! :)