Yesterday I posted on a whim and was met with some enthusiasm from friends. Then one blogging friend commented that we should "bring back the blogs for 2013". I agreed and threw down a challenge that I could post more than she could. And now I'm staring at an empty page and nothing to say. You know what that means?
Right. A list.
Since I haven't been very forthcoming here about all the Wood Life goings on, I might as well catch you up on what you've been missing. So, I've put together a little Top 12 of 2012 to hit the highlights. And to make sure I can milk it for all it's worth, I'm going to stretch it out over several days to ensure I get at least 4 posts out of it and stay ahead of Big Nanny.
She'll probably say that's cheating. I'll probably ignore her.
Without further ado, let's get to it.
The #12 moment of 2012.......Fall Break in Fort Walton!
Our family had not taken a vacation in a few years and felt like we really needed to get away and enjoy each other’s company. So we threw caution to the wind and headed to Florida on the week of Fall Break, just the 3 of us. That was a big decision since we rarely ever travel without at least one other family to provide a playmate for The Ocho. This proved to be one of those times when the rate of her growth punched me in the gut. She's old enough now to hang out with Mom but young enough not to know it's not cool. During the day we all rode boogie boards, built sand castles, watched the dolphins and walked and talked on the beach. She helped me cook dinner and was satisfied playing board games and watching AFV reruns on Netflix at night with me and her dad. We also spent one evening introducing her to “The Princess Bride” and I’m proud to say she can now quote a few lines back to me when prompted.
It was as perfect a vacation as I think we've ever had.
#11.......The Ocho's 12th Birthday Party - Back to the '80s
Contrary to what most are thinking, she picked the theme, not me. And of course, at first I was very excited that she was so interested in honoring my heritage. Then, upon further investigation I became less excited. Because planning an 80's party for 12 year olds? It's harder than you think.
The clothing was the easy part. Especially since neon, leggings and leg warmers are all considered fashionable again. (Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it). But the entertainment proved to be a beast. Do you know how many movies that were popular with kids in the 80's are appropriate viewing for 12 year olds? One. And it's called "The Little Mermaid". Otherwise, everything rated PG back then would carry at least a PG-13 today. And as for music, I was so paranoid I spent a good 2 days googling lyrics to every song before I put it on the play list.
Thankfully, the girls were easy to please and we had a blast with 80's Jeopardy (The Square Pegs beat The Valley Girls pretty handily), Pin the Glove on Michael Jackson, and making ribbon barrettes (this proved to be a bit challenging for most so I'm very thankful Beth Nichols was here to lend a hand. In fact, I'm pretty sure she made 85% of the barrettes all by herself). We also had 80's dance lessons thanks to a YouTube video I found with "Dancin' Kim". She taught us to Pop n Lock and how to dance like a Go Go. It was rad.
The biggest hit of the night was when we turned out the lights, turned on the strobe and cranked up the music. It was the most fun I've had in a while watching them use their newly acquired pop n lock skills as they danced and sang "Any Way You Want It" at the top of their lungs. Or, as they called it, the State Farm commercial song. So sad.
#10 ...........The Summer of Family Fun
Since I knew we wouldn't be taking a vacation trip during the summer I concocted a plan to give the illusion of a vacation with none of the traveling or money spending. Thus, the List of Summer Fun was born. Each weekend we would choose something off the list. There was a family picnic...
There was visiting Cheekwood to see the tree houses.....
There was a trip to Radnor Lake.....
There was our first (and probably last) visit to Fan Fair....
There was also the now infamous Fourth of July visit to Ruby's that was well documented on Nashville's News 2 (The Red Jeep!)
Tune in tomorrow for the next 3 on our list, including an award winner, a water slide and the Worst. Lake. Trip. Ever.












No comments:
Post a Comment