This morning I woke up and decided I wanted to post something here. Some will find it odd since I haven't had much of an inclination to do that in, oh.....years. But, here I am. Ready to share my thoughts and musings on the Wood family Christmas of 2012. And, no, I'm not going to offer some deep and philosophical explanation for my blogging break. Because there isn't one. I simply got tired of listening to myself talk and I figured others had to. But, I'm ready to talk again and I'm OK with the fact that there's probably nobody listening.
So, back to Christmas. This was the first one celebrated in our new home which added a whole new level of excitement to the situation. We started decorating the day before Thanksgiving and had non-stop merriment for a solid month. I even attempted a few Pinterest projects. One was my 24 days of Christmas jar.
It held matchboxes with something special we would do as a family each day in December leading up to the 25th. We baked, we made fudge, we decorated gingerbread men, we made snow globes, we watched movies, we played games, we delivered goodies to friends. Of course, the great sinus plague of 2012 hit me hard for a few days and we had to compile 3 days merriment into one to make up for lost time. But all in all, I count it a success and can't wait to plan next year's jar.
Along the way we attended The Ocho's piano recital where she played my favorite Christmas carol "What Child is This". She did it from memory with zero mistakes. Of course, she was far prouder of her new dress and sparkly shoes.
We also hosted our friends for our annual party. This year we were all very subdued and it occurred to me that we acted our age for the first time ever. Trust me, that won't be allowed to happen again.
This was also the first year that there was an open and honest discussion about the big guy in the red suit. Last year, the Ocho played along out of fear that the whole "you don't believe, you don't receive" threat would be activated. But this year, we came clean. It was actually really fun to see the lights come on regarding so many things. "Wait......YOU ate the cookies? And.....what happened to those carrots we put on the sidewalk for Rudolph? What? You threw them away?????? No. I can't believe I fell for that." Fortunately though, when I asked what she thought of the whole ruse now that she knows the truth, she said she was glad she has the memory of Santa and how much fun it was. No harm done. No grudge held. And the best part was we didn't have to stand in that ridiculous line at the mall this year waiting for a picture. I cannot begin to tell you how liberating that was. It felt like we gained 2 extra days to celebrate.
We still spent Christmas Eve with Grandma, Poppa & the Wood gang.
There was lots of food, presents and this year some healthy competition. Handiman won the penny toss game while I kicked major tail in the Christmas song game. This was also the first year that the Ocho was given the honor of passing out the presents.
Even though a little of the fun and mystery was lost forever on Christmas morning, Santa stilled showed up in a big way. She woke up to find clothes, jewelery, perfume, books, American Girl doll outfits, Vera Bradley and all manner of Taylor Swift propaganda which led up to the grand finale, tickets to the big show in September which she gets to attend with her BFF Chase. That was the only present of the morning to warrant an actual scream.
I was pretty excited by my gifts too. Mainly because my family took the hint and got exactly what I spelled out for them on my list. They didn't go off the grid trying to surprise me and therefore I don't have anything to return. My favorite gift was probably this one:
It's no secret to anyone who knows me that I love this show. And this book only solidifies that Korie Robertson and I really should meet and become lifelong friends. Fascinating story.
Christmas afternoon was spent with Grandmommy & Grandaddy.
So Christmas has come and gone and today we'll brave the crowds and the incoming "winter weather event" a/k/a rain mixed with 3 specks of snow, to exchange some of the Ocho's over sized pants and redeem a few gift cards that if they aren't spent today will surely self destruct in her purse. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. The Wood family is blessed beyond belief. Don't be surprised if I come here to talk about it more often.











1 comment:
Thank you for sharing about your Christmas. I have missed my visits into your life via your blog. :-) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Post a Comment