Saturday, September 29, 2007

Confidence In Christ

The first (and only) time I was crowned was in 1988. I narrowly defeated the competition (of 7 girls) to win the coveted title of Miss Judson College. I was awarded cash ($500) and prizes (a rhinestone tiara). But the real reward was the opportunity to represent my school at the Miss Alabama Pageant. It was truly an honor to walk around all week in 3 inch heels with a bunch of self-absorbed, back-stabbing pageant divas and learn the fine art of taping your breasts together. Good times.

Fortunately, my daughter had a better experience with her first coronation. It was held Saturday at our home church. A good friend of mine, Terra Tucker, founded CNC Ministries several years ago after being crowned Mrs. Tennessee America 2001. She wanted to give young girls the opportunity to learn about their worth as seen through the eyes of Christ. Confidence In Christ is for 1st - 8th grade girls and offers seminars on things like manners, worship, prayer, health and purity. This was Lydia's first year to attend and she couldn't have been more excited about her day. She came home informing me that she had learned how to properly set a table and then demonstrated what a lady she was by placing her napkin and one hand in her lap while eating and did not get one, NOT ONE, piece of food in her hair. Can I get a Hallelujah!?!?! She also told me how much sugar was in 1 can of coke and how important it is to wash your hands.

While I was thoroughly impressed with all this, what blew me away was something I never expected. Her prayer instructor had sent each girl home with a list of scriptures to pray when they were faced with certain challenges. Lydia couldn't wait to tell me that she had prayed one of them out loud for one her friends in the group. My child just doesn't pray out loud for anyone not named Mommy & Daddy.

Of course, the biggest moment of the day came when Terra stood before the girls to read a book she has written called "Daughter of the King." In it, they are told of their identity in Christ. She explained how each of them is beautiful and adored by their father The King and because of their royal status they were all crowned princesses. It was a beautiful and tearful moment watching all those girls receive their crowns and strut out like the royalty they know they are to their very girly candlelit luncheon of ham & cheese croissants, eclairs and pink lemonade.

I am so grateful to God for blessing my daughter with days like this. I love that her first crown will be a symbol of His love and adoration and I pray she will always find her worth in His promises. I know one day she'll probably find herself in a room filled with self-absorbed, back-stabbing pageant divas. Too bad for them she's already taken the crown.



To learn more click here

No comments: