When I was growing up I measured time by the length of TV shows. It was half a "Happy Days" to the store or 2 more "Facts of Life" to the beach. In college I scheduled classes around "Days of our Lives". When I graduated and became a mature, single adult my social life consisted of watching "Melrose Place" with my best friend.
TV had always been my comforter, my companion. When Dave & I got married we couldn't afford cable so we bought rabbit ears and survived on network television for a couple of years. Then we did the unthinkable and went cold turkey. I'm talkin no TV at all when we bought our first house. It was tough but we survived. We actually had conversations and worked on projects in our house together. Weird, I know.
When we had Lydia I wanted to have something to keep me entertained during those midnight feedings so we bought rabbit ears again. Dave had warned me that cable TV for him was like crack for Whitney Houston. It was whack. He understood his weakness better than I and was worried that having so many channels would render him powerless to it's charm. He claimed he could watch anything at all, no matter how mindless or pointless it seemed to be as long as it had moving pictures. I had to see it to believe it.
We got cable 2 years ago and I felt like I was finally back in the land of the living. It had been so long since I had tasted of it's riches that all of the choices were invigorating and I will admit, a little intoxicating. While I have limited myself to only 2 must-watch-at-all-costs shows (The Office & Lost) I have discovered the wondrous world of "The Dog Whisperer", "Little People, Big World" and everything on The Food Network. My husband, however, has fallen prey to his kryptonite.
I would now like to post a list of just a few of the dumbest things I have caught him watching:
1. A Fishing Tournament weigh-in. (It's a stadium full of people watching overweight men weigh fish. The only thing sadder is grown men sitting in recliners watching it on TV)
2. Trailer-Pull Demolition Derby. (As long as you have something hitched to your tailgate, you can participate by trying to demolish what someone else has hitched to their tailgate. Yes, I'm serious)
3. Noticiero Con Paola Rojas (It's the news in Spanish....and no he does not speak Spanish)
4. Jeepers Creepers 2. (This was actually today's viewing choice and the inspiration for this post.)
I will admit that Dave fails to see the educational value of "The Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders: Making the Team" on CMT (or "The DCC" as my girlfriends and I refer to it, and we refer to it often.) I will also confess that there may be a few occasions when I am searching for something educational or spiritually uplifting and I accidentally happen upon "The Hills". I might, in that moment, pause for a minute or two. I can't help it. I cannot believe that Heidi is seriously considering Spencer husband material. That is, like......long pause..... so stupid.
I would love to hear from you. We cannot be alone in our quest for brain cell reduction. Leave me a comment and tell me the dumbest show you or your spouse has ever watched. Dave has a couple of nights free and is looking for suggestions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Rock of Love with Bret Michaels on VH1. I happened upon it because my college roomie was and will always be in love with Ricky Rocket ( I did not even know he existed) and when I saw it advertised I had to tell her about it... then I had to see for myself.
The premise... Bret (who is lacking in the girls throwing themselves at him category) forces himself to live with and date about 25 girls (do I really call them girls? I am not so sure... maybe FREAKS fits better)They must via for his attention and do their best to be asked back "to rock his world" for the next week. It pretty much is a drinking, boob fest ( okay so maybe not so good for Dave to check out) but they try to sing and perform for him and one girl went so far as to show the ultimate token of love... she had his name tatted on the nape of her neck. ( mind you the above was all on one show). I could not take my eyes off of the show... not because it was good, but because I could not believe what I was seeing. My chin was to the floor the whole time. I wonder if there will be a Rock of Love TRY 2... OH I DON"T KNOW... unless of course he found the love of his life!
Ok, so I have been thinking hard about what to put here for your little survey. As you know, we also have just become official cable viewers and we wont go there on how obsessed I became for a while. :) Steve could sit right there with Dave and watch the most ridiculous things. The one I hate the most is Ultimate Fighting. Why anyone enjoys watching two guys in cage beat the tar out of each other is beyond me. Also, anything with animals eating each other. HMMM . . is there a theme here? Ok, the one I get hooked on and shouldn't is Mystery Diagnosis. Why do I watch that show? I always have every symptom and diagnosis they are talking about. ALWAYS! I know I have many more but that is all I am owning up to right now . . . THE OFFICE TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!
Well, I was waiting to comment because I wanted to really wanted to evaluate what I've been watching lately. I wanted to give an accurate report. We love several of the same shows. The DCC is just great classic entertainment.
Here are a few shows that I enjoy watching. Kimora-Life in the Fab Lane. This show is about the fashion mogul-Kimora Lee Simmons. She was once married to Russell Simmons, the famous hip-hop producer. She has her own line of clothing, Baby Phat. She is a mother of two girls and she is filthy rich. She's also very bossy and has high expectations. That makes for some serious drama. The show has been airing on the Style Network, but will now start airing on E! On the last show, she was looking at LA houses in the 15 million range. I enjoy watching how people live their lives, even if it's somewhat staged for TV:)
I also like to watch:
What Not to Wear-Great fashion tips. Love the before and after.
Tim Gunn's Guide to Style-I love it when they go through the underwear drawer.
Oprah (I get some of my most important educational info from this show...like how to puree veggies:)
House Hunters-I'm not looking for a house, but I feel the need to see how everyone in America lives.
AS
Okay, Jason and I are both guilty of watching some pretty ridiculous shows, and I have to admit that I actually like Hannah Montana (I have a 6 year old daughter, so it's a bonding time for us...at least that's how I justify it), but I would like to extend the topic to ridiculous things we've caught our husbands DOING.
My husband loves to soak in the tub (and no, that's not the ridiculous part). One day I came home from work and caught him IN the tub......playing with GI Joes! He wasn't leaning over a tub of water playing with them, he was IN the tub playing with them! My abs were sore the next day from laughing so much!
Post a Comment