The first time I ever saw her she scared the life out of me. She was very small, very wrinkled and had been in the battle of the century with the doctor's forceps and appeared to have been defeated. She was also very needy. I felt ill-equipped in every way to provide all the stuff she seemed to require from me. Constant attention. Food. Clean diapers. Baths. Pacifiers. I mean, I had a life too. And I really needed some sleep. She didn't care. This miracle that we had prayed for was here and NOBODY had bothered to tell me the honest truth about how inconvenient and annoying this little bundle of joy was going to be. Don't get me wrong. I loved her more than life itself but the early months were a blur. Feedings every 3 hours, colic, projectile vomiting and diapers that were straight from the pit of hell. I remember a lot of crying (mine and hers) and praising God for the battery-operated swing. Of course, it got better.
Her first smile, first laugh, first steps, first words, first haircut, first loose tooth, first grade. My first child. The only child we'll have the privilege of raising on this earth. There are many more firsts to come but today I wish God would just hit the pause button, you know?
In the midst of all the sadness and loss that has been associated with our family over the last couple of years it's important to remember that we've also been given more than our fair share of joy. Lydia Kathleen is still inconvenient and annoying at times but she is so, so, so much more. She's beautiful, smart, talented, sensitive, sweet and absolutely the funniest person I know. If I knew 7 years ago what I know now would I change anything? Of course not. Except maybe the projectile vomiting. That was completely unnecessary.
Happy Birthday Lydia. We love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
HAPPY 7th BIRTHDAY LYDIA!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!
Love,
SELAH
(and Ms. Nicole, Mr. Steve, Noah and Micah :) ) Have a great day!
(Selah LOVED the video!)
snif...snif... wipe... wipe... sigh...
BEAUTIFUL!!! Happy Birthday Lydia!
She is just beautiful...Happy Birthday Lydia!!
Post a Comment