Because.....I can literally see the smile on Lydia's face when she opens this and realizes that there are enough to hand out to everyone she knows.
Because.....I wanted Lydia to be able to share something coming from her. Something that she could see all around her.
Because.....the people that she gives them to will have a physical reminder to keep praying for you all.
Because.....those who receive them will smile at the beautiful rainbow that will now symbolize Rebekah's life.
Because.....I LOVE YOU.
There was no name, no address, no hint of who might have left it. Just a box full of beautiful bracelets that say "Rebekah's Rainbow." I stood alone in the kitchen and wept for quite a while. I'm talkin the ugly cry! Then I composed myself (or so I thought) and went upstairs to share this amazing gift with Lydia. We sat on the floor in her room just before bedtime and I tried to read the letter but immediately fell into another puddle of tears. I knew I was scaring the sweet child to death so I tried to explain "joyful tears" to her. I think she got it. She didn't cry though. She simply starting counting out enough bracelets to put in her backpack for school. (She has one for every student in her class and one for her teacher all put away and ready to go.) We then knelt beside her bed and had a sweet prayer time asking God to pour out crazy blessings on our anonymous friend.
I don't know who you are but I know what you are. You're a bona fide instrument in the hand of God. A servant of our Lord that chose to do something so sweet, so selfless, so wonderful for our daughter that our family will be forever changed and forever grateful.
You, my friend, provided a beautiful example of exactly what God intends for "Rebekah's Rainbow" to be all about. You also served as an encourager for me. I'll admit I've had moments of doubt about asking people to participate in our memorial. Satan's been in my ear telling me "nobody cares" or "this is a little too much" or "people think you're silly". Tonight I heard God say pretty emphatically "Tell him to shut up! This isn't about you. It's about Me!"
As I watched Lydia open her gift I got a taste of how He must feel when we sacrifice for His children. It's not so much what we give but the spirit in which it is given that must fill his heart with joy. Mine is filled to overflowing.
Thank you.


2 comments:
You, my friend, are welcome.
And I have to say thanks to your anonymous friend and to Lydia who determined that I was worthy to wear a reminder of her sweet sister on my wrist. Thank you for trusting me with this. I will wear it with pride. And I can't wait for people to start asking me exactly what Rebekah's Rainbow is. What an incredible opportunity to share about a precious little one who was a part of this world for such a short time but blessed so many lives and continues to do so. Love to you all!
Post a Comment