Handiman and I visited the park a few years ago and I always dreamed about the day when the Ocho would be big enough to appreciate it. We would go and have a picnic on the beautiful green grass looking onto the state capital. Then we would peruse the many beautiful historical displays while listening to the giant tower chimes play "The Tennessee Waltz." Then we would stroll through the Farmer's Market buying baskets full of fruits and vegetables then end the day playing in the dancing water fountain.
When I considered the dream carefully, I realized I might need to take a friend. One who knows something about picking out fresh produce, appreciates history and nature and has kids who could play in the fountain with the Ocho, since goodness knows I wasn't getting in it. Naturally, my thoughts went to Robyn.
While the brutual heat index squashed my dreams of an outdoor picnic and my daily allowance wouldn't cover baskets full of anything, the day was still a dream come true.
We headed out for the big city and managed to get quite disoriented once we hit the downtown area. By God's grace and Robyn's never-say-die attitude we found it. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard since it's right in front of the capital, which sits on top of a hill and has the Tennessee Flag waving high in the breeze. But if you think that, you've obviously never traveled anywhere with us.
Of course, by the time we made it the kids were already whining so we decided to have lunch first. We dined in the Farmer's Market food court which offers a variety of international cuisine; Jamaican, Cajun, Chinese, Mexican, Indian, etc. Our kids decided to really branch out and get hot dogs and hamburgers. (I would like to interject here that my child chose to order potato chips and bottled water with her meal. Both Ellis children chose french fries and soft drinks. I'm just sayin.)
Robyn & I got vegetable plates from Swett's, a very famous Nashville eatery that's actually been featured on Food Network. It's a down-home meat & 3 that cooks everything in a vat of lard. Good stuff.
Once we were fueled up we headed out to the park. We watched Robyn's kids put on a "show" on the amphitheater stage then headed to the fountain. Before you see these pictures please know that Robyn and I discussed ahead of time taking bathing suits for the kids but opted out of it. We figured it would be easier to let them play in their clothes and change later. It was her idea for them to keep there shoes on. If you know her at all, you understand why. "Foot Fungus is a big problem, ya know." Her words. Not mine.


The kids had a blast and it was hard to pull them away but eventually we managed to visit more sites in the park.
Here's Robyn & me in front of the capital.

The kids took their proper geographical locations on the giant state map.

Luke acted as our photo stylist and modeled this particular shot after Washington crossing the Delaware. I have no idea what that has to do with Tennessee history but, there you go.

Eventually, we stopped for some family portraits:


After listening to the chime towers play "The Chattanooga Choo Choo", (the chimes are my favorite part of the park. Simply awesome!) we headed over the Farmer's Market. I got lessons from Robyn on how to choose a fresh cantaloupe and listened as she asked one merchant about the history of some odd-shaped squash she found. We each purchased some fruit before loading up for home.
Since we got so disoriented on the way in we decided to wing it on our way out. We ended up traveling down Jefferson Street (if you are familiar with Nashville you're getting a big kick out of that image, I'm sure.) The highlight of that little adventure was happening upon Steve McNair's restaurant Gridiron 9, which he had just opened a couple of weeks before his death.
Despite the nearly 100 degree temperature and a few wrong turns, it ended up being a really fun-filled day. We learned a little about our state, got some really tasty nectarines and avoided foot fungus. Can't beat it.



No comments:
Post a Comment