Thursday, July 2, 2009

Like lookin' in a mirror

Have I ever told you about the time I was at Wendy's? It was back when The Ocho was still a baby. No? OK. Then let me tell you now because it is relevant to today's story. I promise.

We were standing in line waiting to order our chicken nugget kids meal and combo #1 with cheese when a lady in front of me commented on how cute she was. I beamed like a proud mama and said "Thanks!". Then she asked if I was babysitting her.

No, I'm not kidding.

I get it though. She's got her Daddy's hair color and her Daddy's eyes and her Daddy's chin cleft and her Daddy's accident proneness. But come on.

I did NOT spend 18 hours in labor to be called her babysitter. Seriously.

Maybe that's why I try to exert a little extra effort at being her Mom. Maybe that's why I insist on frequent Mommy/Daughter days like the one we had yesterday. Maybe I feel I've got something to prove.

Or maybe I just enjoy her company. Because despite all the Daddy in her, she's got Mommy's sense of humor and, as it turns out, a love for many of the same things.

For example, yesterday we took a gift card I received a while back and treated ourselves to spa pedicures. It was her first and my second. So, obviously I was an old pro. I wasn't surprised by the warm bubbly foot bath, the massage, the oils and lotions, the warm neck wrap or the fancy room. But she was. And my girl was all about it.

She did know enough going into it that she informed me she would need to take a magazine to read. Since there probably wouldn't be any there she'd like, we stopped off at the drug store and I let her choose her own. Her choice? People Magazine. That's MY girl.

(Oh relax. It was the special edition issue about Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez.)

When it came time to choose a color she didn't follow the lead of her peers. Sure, she was offered the blues and purples that so many of her counterparts enjoy but she would have none of it. She chose red. Just like her Mommy. That's MY girl.


After our pampering session I let her choose the restaurant for lunch. I expected the usual suspects. McDonalds. Taco Bell. Wendy's. Her choice? Panchos. Because just like her Mommy, my girl loves her some melted cheese inside a tortilla. Her Dad has what we call a "delicate constitution" so Pancho's is usually not an option on family outings. That's MY girl.


Once we had filled ourselves with chips, salsa and melted cheese we headed out for a little shopping. She brought along her own money and knew exactly what she wanted. Because, just like her Mommy she never goes shopping without a plan. She's not one of those store browsers who shops for fun. She has to know what she wants, where to get it and the location of the register nearest the exit. We went to Books A Million and she found her brand new journal. Because MY girl? She likes to write.

After a quick walk through Target, because around here you don't call it shopping until you've walked through Target, we decided to head home. On the way I asked her what she wanted to do. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: So, once we get home what's next? I'll leave it up to you.

Ocho: How about we eat brownies and watch "The Brady Bunch"!

Me: Seriously? That's what you want to do?

Ocho: Uh-huh. Then after that you can take a nap while I write in my journal.


So that's exactly what happened. We snuggled on the couch with our brownies and the boys vs. girls clubhouse episode. Then I retired to the recliner while she journaled all about the days events.

Say what you want, I think she looks just like me.


post signature

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Too cute... and...ummm you do have the same toes =)

Shawn said...

Will you be my mama for a day?
~H

happymcfamily said...

Love it! I TOTALLY relate as I am also one of those moms whose daughter looks just like Daddy... but her personality is mostly me :)
When you were first telling the story about Wendy's, I thought maybe they asked if you were babysitting because you looked young to have a kid... or maybe that's just the kind of responses that I get. lol.

Tammy said...

Other than her looking like her daddy birthed her....I totally think she is you made over!

LOL over the "delicate constitution"!!