Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Granddaggy

Today is my step-dad's 80th birthday. My Mom has a big shindig planned for this coming weekend. Family and friends are coming in from all over to help celebrate. In preparation for the party, I was given the assignment of creating a video montage of his life. My Mom and I poured over pictures and I eventually laid them out and set them to music. But it just didn't seem to do him justice.

He was born dirt poor in rural Alabama. He lied about his age when he was 16 so he could enlist in the US Air Force early. He was stationed all over the world, from Hawaii, Japan, Germany and England to Vietnam. He was a part of the Atom Bomb test crew in 1958. He drove a jeep in President Eisenhower's inauguration parade. He became an accomplished pilot and flew on Air Force One curing the Nixon administration. He was awarded The Bronze Star for bravery. He suffered hearing damage while serving and today is severely hearing impaired.

After retirement, he became a cattle farmer. That's who he was when I met him. He married my Mom and moved us out to his farm, with chickens and cows and eventually 2 horses that he would buy especially for me.

Jim Massey is an American hero. And he's been a pretty amazing father figure to me throughout my life. But you know why I love him today more than ever? Because of the way I've watched him love my daughter.

I never knew either of my grandfathers growing up so I have no point of reference. But I'm pretty sure Jim's been doing everything just right.

When she was first born he would hold her and feed her a bottle. As she got older, she'd sit right beside him in his recliner and watch his favorite old westerns. When she started to talk she called him "Granddaggy" and it stuck. In fact, that's what we all call him now.

Sometimes she would ask Granddaggy to sit in the closet, and he would. Sometimes she'd ask Granddaggy to wear a hat with a pink bow, and he would. Sometimes she'd ask Granddaggy to crawl around in a pile of leaves, and he would.

He helped her catch her first fish. He let her "drive" his truck while they listened to old Hank Williams songs. And about a year ago he started giving her $2 every time he'd see her.

In other words, he's everything a Granddaggy ought to be.

As I was going through all his pictures, I knew I couldn't include all of the ones of the two of them so I decided to make a special one just for my blog. I hope he likes it.

He's been a hero to many people in this world, but no one more than her.


Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com

Happy Birthday Grandaggy. We sure do love you!

post signature

3 comments:

RE said...

Happy birthday Mr. Jim. The Ellis family thinks you are not only an American hero but a man hero.

jam'n bell said...

That is one precious relationship!! Thanks for sharing it and him on your blog. Happy Birthday!

Tammy said...

Happy Birthday to Jim.....whom I also know as "Catfish". :-)