Saturday, September 19, 2009

Kanye comes to the grocery store

Taylor Swift and I have a lot in common. We both like music. We both like to write songs about people we know. And we've both had a crush on at least one Jonas Brother.

But last Saturday I could never have guessed how our lives would become forever intertwined.

It was around 10:30 am and I had just finished grocery shopping. I found myself in the longest line in grocery store history, just like always, when a cashier graciously opened up another station and offered to show me mercy and kindness. It was just like winning your first VMA! I couldn't believe that out of all the shoppers waiting there, I had been chosen! I quickly hurried over, extended my heartfelt gratitude to her and began unloading my filled-to-the-brim cart.

I only had about 10 items on the conveyor belt when this lady appears out of nowhere, pulls up behind me and reaches over me to grab one of the placeholder things. I figured she either wanted to congratulate me on my good fortune or wanted to be ready when her time came. But then the unthinkable happened. She plopped it down right beside the items I'd placed on the belt and began to unload her ENTIRE CART before I've made even a dent in mine. There was literally no room left for my remaining 40 items.

Both the cashier and I just stared at her in confusion. But she didn't budge. And she didn't apologize. She just stood there with a smirk on her face as if she's really taught me a lesson.

The cashier looked at me anxiously and said "I'm sorry". I think she was sure I was about to slug the woman right in the gut. Or at the very least unleash a tirade beginning with "who do you think you are?" But I didn't. I couldn't. I had never in my life been the victim of such outright rudeness. I was stunned. I was also very aware that for all I knew everyone around me attends my church and knows I sing in the choir. So, to preserve my dignity and Christian testimony I simply said "that's OK." and began handing my items to the cashier. One at a time. Very, very, very slowly.

The experience stuck with me all week. I couldn't get over how it felt to be the victim of such bad behavior. I relayed the story to my family when I got home and a few friends over the next couple of days and they were outraged as well. Still, I longed for somebody to commiserate with me on a personal level. Then I awoke on Monday morning to hear the news of what happened to Taylor Swift.

Few people can know what it's like to have your moment of glory stolen away by someone so vindictive and hateful. But I can. And Taylor can. And I'm sure if I could share my story with her we'd become the best of friends.

In a few hours I'll head back to that same store and get stuck in that same long line. But Taylor has given me hope. Hope that another register will open and Beyonce herself will be waiting to give me another shot at speedy check-out.

post signature

1 comment:

Tammy said...

My stance would have been to go Bon Qui Qui on her...... "RUDE!"
"Don't Interrupt!" and then called for "SAH-curity!"

But you probably made a better decision.