For the past few years our gift has been service to others. We've tried to find ways individually to sacrifice on the behalf of friends or strangers that come into our lives and be the hands and feet of Jesus just as so many were to us 4 years ago. But this year, my heart was moved in a different direction.
A few months ago I started feeling a tug at my heart to do something more missions oriented. I wasn't sure if that meant going on a trip myself but I knew God had a plan so I just prayed and waited for Him to let me in on it. It was soon afterwards that my friend Angela posted THIS on her blog. I'll admit I was surprised and even a little jealous. As I heard more about the trip I wanted to become a part of what they would be doing. In her blog, Angela linked another one written by a girl named Katie. Katie runs an orphanage in Uganda and the team Angela is traveling with will be working there on their trip. I didn't click the link right away. Then one Saturday I decided to take a look. And I knew.
After reading for hours I was in tears. The pictures alone will do you in. But it's her faith, her complete dependence on God and the way He's using her to do what all of us as believers are called to that humbled me, challenged me and left me with no other choice but to do whatever I could to become a part of it.
(I hope you'll find time to read her stories. The blog can be a little overwhelming at first so if you're looking for a place to start click HERE. Then read THIS incredible story.)
A few days later I filled out the sponsorship form and sent in the check. In a couple of weeks we'll find out about the little girl we'll be sponsoring through Amazima. We'll know her name and have her picture. The Ocho is super excited since she'll be able to write her letters, draw her pictures and even send her presents. I've told her it will be like having a little sister in Africa.
While the amount of the check seemed significant at first, I realized it was less than we'd be spending on Rebekah's birthday and Christmas presents this year if she were with us. Then all at once it seemed insignificant and left me wanting to do more.
It's exciting to think that my friends will be there in January. Maybe they'll get to meet her. Maybe one day we will too.
Yesterday The Ocho & I sported our Africa t-shirts in honor of our family's life-long Rainbow project:
After praying & singing we watched our rainbow float across the sky:
It seems whenever I leave Rebekah's grave and sadness is lingering, God does something unexpected to make me smile. But this time he took my breath away. As we were driving home on a beautiful, sunny day I looked up in the sky and saw it. Thinking my eyes were playing tricks, I quickly asked Handiman & Ocho if they could see it too. They could. It was a small rainbow.
God is close to the brokenhearted. Much closer than I usually give Him credit for.



8 comments:
Well, I guess this means I really can't back out now...I've paid the money for the janky shots and now I've got to go and find the Ocho's sister. Love you!
:-)
GOD IS SO GOOD!!!!! That is breathtaking. What a gift! It was like Rebekah was smiling right at you through that rainbow knowing her mommy, daddy and big sister loves her so much. I can't wait to hear about Ocho's sister in Africa. How awesome! LOVE YOU!
SO WONDERFUL! God will use you to bless this little girl in ways unimaginable.
We love y'all!!
CHILLS.ALL.OVER~
Oh and just so you know... TJ is going in April... and A few other friends in June or July. So if you don't find out before Angela's trip, there are more to come!
I would love to meet your girl in Africa in April. I hope to meet ours too. God is doing amazing work over there that is crushing hearts over here! What a blessing that Rebekah's legacy of love continues. That is what I think of...love, then God poured it out in colors on the sky for you. Too sweet. God is too good!
Love,
Tracey
Teresa, the day my mom died was a beautiful cloudless day...as I left the hospital there was an amazing rainbow above the building. God is good, so good. You all are always in my prayers as He brings you to my mind.
Stacey
Post a Comment