Wait. I take that back. There was one BIG surprise. Last Sunday morning I opened my church bulletin to find a bio sheet with a familiar picture on it. I knew our church was looking for a children's pastor. What I didn't know was that they'd found one. And that his family and my family happen to be acquainted. His wife Beth and I teach together and have developed a sweet friendship over the past couple of years and their youngest daughter happens to be The Ocho's very best friend.
I had the opportunity to sing at their church last year and see first hand the way God has used their family. I've also seen Pastor Eric speak in our chapel services and lead songs at school for special occasions. And did I mention that his mom happens to be our school principal and my boss? So, yeah, I know them. And I love them. And I don't mind telling you that when I found out that God was calling them to our church I nearly burst into tears with excitement. TSC is about to be blessed big time.
So, that was the big surprise of the week. But there were others. They were small in comparison but no less appreciated.
Like listening to my daughter imitate each and every person in her class as we drove home from school. It was one of the best one-woman shows I've seen in quite awhile and had me laughing in a way that is usually reserved from "The Office" and Christopher Guest movies. The girl has obviously inherited my gift or mimicking others. That could turn out to be a blessing or a curse but to me, on that day, it was a blessing.
Then there was that moment in the kitchen as I was making my breakfast and listening to the radio. I had to stop and listen to every word of Amy Grant's new song "Better than a Hallelujah". I stood there and cried and smiled and vowed to memorize it by the day's end. "We pour out our misery, God just hears a melody. Beautiful the mess we are,. The honest cry of breaking hearts is better than a hallelujah." It will be one of my favorite songs for the rest of my life.
But perhaps the most unexpected surprise came in the form of a 2nd grade boy coming to tattle on a friend on the playground. Several teachers listened as he tried to explain the events that led to to the altercation. Usually I tune that stuff out if I'm not the one in charge. But this time it demanded my attention when I heard the words. "....well, I tried to tell him to stop. But then he hit him with a ukulele." Wait....what?
You heard me. A 2nd grade boy's playground weapon of choice was in fact a ukulele.
You weren't expecting that one either, were ya?


1 comment:
I knew :)& I wondered if you were friends. Glad that the Ocho is getting a friend from school at church...looks like your two separate worlds are colliding;)
Post a Comment