Monday, July 7, 2008

This is how it feels to be free

I hope everyone out there had a safe and happy July 4th weekend. Our holiday was steeped in tradition.

First we sent the Little Ocho to RubyDooby's house on Thursday night for a sleepover with her cousin. They spent some time decorating their "float" for the annual neighborhood parade the next morning. Being the patriot that she is, Ocho was adamant that she be adorned in red, white and blue. I packed her favorite red tank top from Justice and navy blue shorts but I neglected to send a white item which forced her to improvise. She chose to wear a white headband........ around her neck. Naturally.
We spent the fourth party-hopping as usual. Our first stop is always the Wood family reunion at RD's house. There's usually a crowd of about 20 people and we feast on the usual fare; grilled hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, baked beans, watermelon and 6 different desserts. This year 4 of Papa Gator's aunts paid a visit. The youngest among them was 84. The oldest was 95. It was a wild time indeed. One brought her nurse and one brought her walker. I was so thankful the Ocho waited until we were headed to our car before asking "Who are all those old people?" Handiman had to confess he had absoutley no idea.

From there it was off to our other annual get-together with our peeps.

We gathered at the Ellis home for more food (where I got crafty with a VBS inspired treat), some swimming, lots of girl talk, a couple of accidental injuries for the kids and an ill-advised pool relay race for the adults. After dark we gathered for Rob's famous fireworks extravaganza. It relies heavily on your imagination and the fireworks from his neighbors across the street. But at least he tries.

Saturday morning we loaded the Ocho into the Ellis' car for her trip to the beach. This is how she looked when we last saw her:As you can tell, she was all torn up about leaving us for a whole week. We've only heard from her once so far. She talked alot about the food she ate on the way down (Chick-fil-A and Taco Bell!!), how pretty the beach is, the room she's sharing with Abigail and how much fun she was having already. There was no mention of missing either one of us. That's why I'm going to clean out her closet today and throw away everything that isn't essential to life. That'll teach her.

This brings us to yesterday. It was filled with the usual stuff. Church, a birthday dinner for our nephew at RD's and an afternoon nap. There was one very unusual thing though.


I wore my red shoes!!!!!!!! Please. Hold your applause.

So today I'm sitting in a quiet, empty house with limitless possibilities. I can get some chores done, do a little writing, read a book, watch whatever I want on TV and crank the radio as loud as I please.

Want to know what I can't do? Park in my garage. Because he's still not finished.

For those who asked for an update, this is how it looks today. Painting is all that's left, but in true Handiman fashion he's decided to do the same thing to the other entrance. This means at least two more weeks of nail guns, saws, sanders, drywall dust and caulk all over my hardwood floor.

It's true what they say. Freedom isn't free.

5 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Oh my gosh! I love the red shoes! I am so jealous! I can't believe I missed seeing them! Promise to wear them again soon so I can see them in person! You don't need What Not To Wear! You go girl!

Oh, if you get too bored and need some entertainment, a little fighting, and lots of whining, you call me! I can hook you up! :)

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

You just crack me up...freedom isn't free. How do you think up such funny stuff?!?


Love the red shoes Dorothy.

Tammy said...

You go girl with the star-spangled ensemble! Salute the shoes, baby!

Now I am loving handiman's handiness, it is going to be so pretty! Perhaps he'll have that done by the time I visit?!

And I need to be welcomed to your humble abode with flip-flop cookies AND pretzel turtle thingys.

Big Nanny said...

Chik-fil-A and Taco Bell, are you kidding me??? She's supposed to be eating tree bark w/the veggie queen. You are rockin' the red shoes!

And your flip flop cookies are the hit of the internet.

Paula V said...

Looks like a very beautiful and blessed day of celebration.

Your title makes me sing a song which I have no idea of the author or title. I'm sure it's on one of my six CDs that are in my car player. Two of them are 4Him CDs so the odds may be that. One is a various artist and one is Phillips, Craig and Dean.

At any rate, I am now singing that song in my head. Let me rephrase that...I am singing that "line" in my head.