Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Conversations with Shelly, Part II

Last night was Girl's Night and you know what that means.

Yes, Big Nanny insisted on ordering a pizza with lots of meat. And yes, Nicole came straight from the Hair Whisperer looking all cute and fancy. And yes, Andrea dropped the bomb that she hasn't eaten red meat since January. And yes, we all ate our meat pizza right in front of her without a moment's hesitation. (It's not our fault she's lost her mind.)

But the most important part of girl's night is always our conversations with Shelly. (If you missed my last installment, you can find part one by clicking HERE.)

As always, topics were varied. They ranged from religion to politics to the DCC. And we all had our contributions to make. But once Shelly has spoken, there's really no need for anybody else to say a word.

I will first give you the topic and then Shelly's response. Enjoy.

Topic: Baptismal practices of The Church of Christ

"I remember leaving the baptismal and they handed me a cracker. With us, once you get dunked you're on the juice."


Topic: Marriage seminars

"We signed up for 'A Dynamic Marriage' at our church. We filled out the survey and they kicked us out."


Topic: Setting boundaries for teenagers when dating

"Neckin' is a mortal sin! I remember taking notes in my precious moments Bible"

Topic: How she became acquainted with someone

"Joe hit his son in the head with a metal truck. That's how I know him."

Topic: A recent workout class

"I had me a democrat Yoga teacher this mornin'"

Topic: While discussing a movie, the rhetorical question "Have you ever felt like somebody's been videotaping your life?" was posed

"As a matter of fact yes.....His name is Dean the old man.....He lives next door. We call him Mr. Green Jeans. We think he peeps in our windows."

Topic: Using place cards for Thanksgiving with family.

"If my sister sits me next to that sword swallower again I don't know what I'll do"

Topic: The sword swallower

"Now he plays the penny whistle"

Obviously, a little background on the sword swallower was demanded. We learned that his name is Dan and he's a cousin of her brother-in-law or something like that. He comes for Thanksgiving each year and entertains the family after dinner. He once showed up to help work in the garden wearing a kilt. According to Shelly, both the sword swallowing and the penny whistle are getting old.

If it were anyone else, we might have been skeptical of this story. Nevertheless, she was able to offer proof of his existence. Because he appeared on "America's Got Talent".

Well, of course he did.

Allow me to present Shelly's in-law the sword swallower:



post signature

2 comments:

Big Nanny said...

It's all true, every last word of it and I was there to make sure that she documented all of it. You will notice that the video says that he's from Hartselle, AL...home of CoolShellyT.

Tammy said...

I NEED to meet this girl....did I meet her??

I like how he said, "I'm going to nudge my heart a little".

Super scary and I wouldn't want to break bread with him either.