There was the occasional Friday night dinner at The Steak Pit and maybe a movie at The Cahaba Twin Cinemas but other than that, there wasn't much goin' on. Broadway shows didn't come through our little town. Neither did symphonies, art exhibits or famous singers.
Wait. I take that back. Once Bob Hope did a show in town and I think The Beach Boys were there too, but we didn't make it. Tickets were too expensive and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a real appreciation for Bob Hope when I was 12.
It wasn't until I was in college that I was exposed to culture and the fine arts. Then I graduated and moved to the big city of Nashville where the opportunities are endless. It didn't hurt that I married a man who loves a good weekend adventure. Back before stollers and sippy cups busted our groove, we'd spend our weekends seeing plays at TPAC, roaming around the art gallery at The Parthenon and taking in as many concerts as we could afford.
Our little slice of the universe in Middle Tennessee is full of chances to see and do new and exciting things and we have been determined that our daughter would be brought up to appreciate them all.
Finally she's reached an age where she can accompany us on our little adventures and perhaps take away some life lessons and new found appreciations. That's why this past Saturday we felt it was time for her first cultural lesson. So we traveled about 55 miles east of our home to a little town holding an annual celebration that would encompass all those things she needed to know about. People expressing themselves through music, dance and art. And there would also be a bounty of culinary delights.
That's right. The Wood family spent Saturday in the city of Bell Buckle, TN......for this:



From there we were off to enjoy the music and dancing I was speaking of. Of course, it was bluegrass and some cloggers from Murfreesboro. We enjoyed them from the comfort of our hay bale in the blazing 95 degree heat.

We also couldn't wait to sample the reason for this auspicious celebration. And I must say, they are tastes worth celebrating.
After that, we took a stroll through town and checked out all the craft booths and antique stores. We saw people wearing the latest fashion trends.
(I looked everywhere for one of these Moon Pie hats, by the way, but couldn't find one. Very disappointing.)The Ocho thought it was especially cool that we let her walk on the train tracks that ran through town.

While we were browsing we came upon a local artist and decided to purchase a piece of his artwork. We thought it would look great hanging in The Ocho's room.

It was a hot, exhausting day but successful nonetheless. Our little girl came away with new experiences and appreciations for cultures different than her own.
Oh, who am I kidding? I'm from Alabama and her daddy's from Tennessee. These are HER PEOPLE! HER HERITAGE! And she wears it well.




2 comments:
Looks like a blast! And Ocho does wear her heritage well.
Wow! RC and Moonpies, two of the better things in life. Gotta put this festival on my calendar for next year.
I actually do have RC in the fridge right now...hard to beat an ice cold RC.
Post a Comment