Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Best of the Beach 2009

Last week the Ocho and I set off for a few days at the beach with my parents and niece Marissa. Due to our current financial situation and Handiman's new job, a family beach trip just wasn't possible for us this year so I was excited when Champ offered to take us on this little all-expenses-paid vacay.

Rather than give a play by play, I decided to recap my favorite moments from the trip. Some are serious and some are not but they all made a lasting impression on me. So, here we go.

First up, Peach Park.

Since there were 2 kids and 2 senior citizens on this trip we found it advantageous to cut our drive into 2 parts. We drove a few hours down the interstate to Clanton, AL and spent the night. I must say I've passed the giant peach on the side of I65 on nearly every trip I've ever taken to Florida and not once have I stopped to consider what the city of Clanton might have to offer.

Our hotel was right up the road from Peach Park which has a nice produce market, gift shop, restaurant and, obviously, a park. It also has a giant peach which was screaming "photo op" from the moment I saw it.




We decided to have lunch there the next day before heading on to Florida. It was a marvelous decision for many reasons not the least of which was this one.




That's right. Peach Cobbler. My vacation was off to a fine start indeed.

Next up, the swans.

The condo we stayed in had a beautiful pond out front with ducks, geese and 2 of the most beautiful swans. The Ocho and I went out one night to feed them and had such a blast that we took Marissa and Mom with us the next night. I don't think I've ever seen a swan that close up before. It was startling how big and regal they are. One of God's show-off moments for sure.

We all stopped by to feed them all our leftover bread after packing up for home and it was a sight. Of course, the Ocho took it upon herself to name them earlier in the week. There was a mama duck named Susie and her 3 duckling, Shannon, Shelby & Samantha. And then she named the Swans: Sara & Katie.

Meet Sara:


Next up, my iPod shuffle.

Just as I predicted, my new purchase came in quite handy. I had loaded it up with quite a variety of music before we left and I enjoyed the suprise factor of it all. On one particular morning I'd like to think God ordained a moment and got involved in the sequence. I had just put the book away that I was reading and turned on the music. I was watching The Ocho & Marissa play in the waves, the breeze was blowing against my face and the sky was the clearest blue when I pressed play. Josh Grobin & Charlotte Church began singing "The Prayer" and just as the chorus swelled a flock of 5 pelicans in perfect formation began circling over the ocean right in front of me. It was all I could do not to have a holy fit right there. Instead I let the tears stream down my face, smiled from ear to ear and said thanks to my Creator. He put on quite a show for me.



Next up, music time with Mom.

I mentioned before that my mom didn't make it to the actual beach very much during out trip. On one of her rare visits she sat beside me in the sweltering heat trying to act like she was enjoying herself. I asked if she'd like to listen to a song on my iPod and she said yes. I made sure to find an appropriate song (I figured Amy Winehouse or Beyonce probaby wouldn't do it for her) so I found Nicole C. Mullen singing "Reedemer". What could be better? She politley listened to the entire song and smiled. As she handed it back to me she asked how it worked. I began to explain the whole process of iTunes, downloading, dragging and dropping songs when she shook her head. "Just another sign of the times. Pretty soon it's the mark of the beast!"

I should stop here and explain that my mom has always had the uncanny ablity to link any subject matter straight back to the rapture and the mark of the beast. She's been doing it for as long as I've known her and it's a skill I've yet to master.

So, after I laughed at her and told her she was being ridiculous, I found another song and dared her to find a rapture reference in it. It was Brad Paisley's "I'm Still A Guy". And she was defeated.

Next up, picture time.

Yes, I am one of those people that demands family pictures on every beach trip. Yes I want everyone's hair to be blowing the same way. And yes I want everyone present in the picture. And no, I don't care if you're too tired, too old, too hungry, too fed up with having your picture taken, blah, blah, blah.





Finally, family bonding.


On the trip my mom and I taught Marissa & the Ocho the ultimate road trip classic "Found a Peanut". We also played the liscence plate scavanger hunt game and listened to Radio Disney. When I found out on the way down to Florida that Marissa had never seen HSM 3, I quickly righted the wrong and set up a movie night for us girls. (You didn't think I travled without it, did you?) I helped the Ocho build a sand castle and took the girls shell hunting one evening. Good family fun. You can't beat it.

This trip wasn't the easiest for anybody. My stepdad didn't have much to do and mom was indoors with him most of the time. Marissa got a bad sunburn and suffered from a pretty bad ear ache the entire trip. I found myself in the unfortunate posistion of doing all of the vacation jobs usually reserved for my husband; Packing the trunk, driving, navigating the directions, hauling the supplies to and from the beach and setting up the beach chair and umbrella. (And yes, I did call him and apologize for ever taking advantage of him on trips like this. I also promised to never take another one without him.)

It seemed The Ocho was the only one who suffered no inconvience, malady or discomfort. As usual.




post signature




2 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

AWESOME! I miss the beach. :( Love the pic of you and Lydia! And the last one, lets just say, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!!!!

Melissa Workman said...

I can not believe that you have never stopped in Clanton. We get peaches almost every thime we pass the exit...Going to the beach and coming home!