(I did not intend for that to rhyme, but it did. And that makes me happy.)
Monday kicked off with a trip to the doctor. You see, my mom's side of the family has a history of high cholesterol and heart problems so she's naturally been hounding me for, oh I don't know, a decade to have my cholesterol checked. I decided finally that since I'm 40 perhaps it was time to give in and get it done. This meant that I couldn't have anything to eat for 12 hours prior to my 8:45 appointment. And also, only black coffee is allowed so that meant no coffee for me. Because coffee without cream and sugar is like chicken without flour and grease. Pointless.
So, I survived the famine and made it through the endless amount of questions about family history and finally got to the long needle and empty vile. I was so hungry I could have cared less how much it stung or how long it took. And when it was over I did what every middle-aged person with a family history of heart attacks does after having her cholesterol checked. I went to McDonald's and got a sausage biscuit. And it was good.
Tuesday night was a scheduled girl's night out with my Peeps at Olive Garden, and wouldn't you know it? The nurse decided to call me 15 minutes before I was going to leave to give me my results. If the numbers had been bad, it could have totally altered my entire ordering process. But as it turns out, my levels are normal. A fact that surprised and relieved me and I'm sure will infuriate my mother. Sorry mom. : ) So, I was able to enjoy my friends and some 5-cheese ziti.
Wednesday, I started work on a task I was given by a friend from college. Her name is Kathleen and I've mentioned her here before. She's one of the most gifted singers I've ever known and today she owns her own vocal studio in South Carolina. She's putting together a travel team of performers and asked me and a few other girls from school to act as judges. There were 20 kids who gave taped auditions singing 2 songs a piece. She put them on YouTube and sent us a scoring sheet. She asked us to channel our inner Simon as we were judging.
And if you know me at all, you know I was All. Over It.
So, I've spent the last 2 days watching kids ranging in age from 9 - 18 sing everything from Broadway to Big Band to Taylor Swift. And without exception they were all fantastic. I tried hard not to use words like "pitchy", "cruise ship performer" or "Dawg" in my comments.
All of it made me a little grumpy actually. I mean, who sounds like Celine Dion when they're 11 years old?
It was tough but fun work. So thanks for the opportunity Kathleen.
So, now Friday is staring me down along with all the stuff I should have accomplished days ago. Like getting Handiman's truck tags renewed. Or buying laundry detergent so we can, you know, wear clean clothes. And I don't even want to go into the vacuuming that needs to happen.
I've been too busy sitting in judgement of others to fool with any of that. Plus, all that ziti made me tired.


No comments:
Post a Comment