Sunday, May 31, 2009

Up and Down

It seems I caused quite a stir on Facebook the other day. The Ocho and I had been to see the new movie "Up" with some friends and our experience was less than stellar.

I told my friends on the way out that I planned to blog about the movie and had already thought of a title: " 'UP'. It's a downer."

They laughed for the first time in 2 hours and we headed our separate ways. When I got home I updated my status on Facebook letting everyone know that I wasn't impressed with Pixar's latest installment. And a movie critic was born.

I had no idea how many people would take my opinion to heart and I'll admit I got a little excited at the prospect of manipulating the movie-going experiences of so many families. I also got a little taste of those who had seen it and come away with a different opinion, and that was OK. They have every right to be mistaken.

After thinking it over for a couple of days I've decided to clarify my position here. I'll give you my reasons for not liking it and then I'm retiring from the movie critic business. I prefer to live in a world where people like me.

When I go see a Pixar movie I'm expecting three things: Funny talking animals, sharp witty dialogue and a child with only one parent. "Up" only partially delivered. Sure, it had the dog with the talking collar but the funniest thing he does in the whole movie I'd already seen replayed a million times on the commercial which runs every 6 1/2 minutes on The Disney Channel.

As far as sharp witty dialogue goes, I suppose it had it's moments but I honestly can't think of one time the entire audience laughed out loud. There were some chuckles here and there but there was never one of those moments like I enjoyed in "Finding Nemo", "Toy Story 2" or even "Wall-E", which I'll admit began the trend of the "serious animated movie with a heart" thing they seem to have going on now.

The one thing it did deliver on was the kid with only one parent. That is the thing you can always count on with Disney. Except this time the parent isn't dead, he's just a dead-beat. Nice touch.

So, if you think your kids will enjoy a movie about an elderly man losing his wife and home, with a miscarriage thrown in for good measure (that's right, there is a miscarriage in a cartoon) then I wish you the best. But beware, they're going to charge you an $3.50 per person for those silly 3-D glasses on top of the already astronomical ticket price. So that little dose of depression is gonna cost extra.

Like I said, "UP". It's a downer.

(I will interject here that the movie wasn't a total waste of time. It was during the previews that I learned they are releasing "Toy Story 3" next summer!! I just hope it's not about Woody & Jesse getting a divorce.)

post signature

3 comments:

Tammy said...

We went to see it today....and despite the sad beginning, we all loved it!

And are looking forward to Toy Story 3! :-)

The Rivers Family said...

I am going to take your critique to heart and not spend the extra money on a movie I obviously will not enjoy. I don't enjoy explaining things from a cartoon to my eight year old either!

Big Nanny said...

Yes, up was a downer. I can't believe you didn't tell the funny part...me going to the wrong movie theater:)