Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The American Idol Experiment

(I'm interrupting my reguarly scheduled work-related posts to bring you a Livin' the Wood Life special report.)

After years of devotion to all that is American Idol I had to give it up this year. I let it be known on these pages that it was a tough decision to make. It turns out, I made the right one.

Handiman and I decided to conduct a little experiment with the show. We vowed to avoid all media mentions about it. We not only didn't watch the program, but we also didn't watch any reports about it on the news, listen to anything pertaining to it on the radio and didn't read anything about it on the internet. We also avoided as much conversation on the subject as we could.

I will also tell you that if any of you blogged about it, I didn't read those days. I saw the letters AI and hit exit. Sorry.

The whole point was to come to the end of the season and just watch the finale show. We wanted to be as unbiased as possible just to see what it would be like. We didn't want any emotional investments in the contestants and we didn't want our opinions swayed by Paula's tears or Simon's put-downs.

Before I go on I'll tell you what we did know. We knew the first names of both finalists and we knew that one of them (we weren't sure which) was considered a shoe-in.

So, we see this guy Adam and we think to ourselves (and then say out loud to each other) what's this guy's deal? What's with the coat? And the eyeliner? And the lip gloss? And the screaming. Oh. My. Word. The screaming. Not to mention the song choice. Surely, this guy's not the favorite.

Then the judges speak and we know we are mistaken. This is when we realize that nothing's changed in Season 8. They almost always go for the odd looking, cocky screamer. But this time Fantasia's name is Adam Lambert. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

Anyway, next up was Kris and my first words were "Wow, he's cute." Because that's how I roll. Then I realize he can not only sing without screaming, but he can sound good doing it. And I immediately know who I'm voting for.

The judges were kind and generous to him but I knew from past experience they would turn on him in the end. And they did with their condescending "you should be proud of how far you've gotten". That's always been code for "loser" on this show. By the way, we could barely listen to Paula make it through her first gushing speech about Adam. How did you people survive a whole season of that?

I hope I haven't offended any of you Adam lovers out there but I'm calling it as I see it. I voted for Kris. And I'm pretty sure I'm breaking up with this show forever.

post signature

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Well, you certainly missed out on Danny Gokey...who was voted off last week in the final 3. So now, as expected, I voted for Kris. Because I am not voting for the queen.