As I've grown older and acquired more responsibilities I've found it necessary to limit the hours we can spend together each week. This past TV season I had to drastically cut back. As you all might recall, I had some tough decisions to make and as sad as it was to say goodbye to Randy, Paula & Simon, I just didn't have room in my life for them.
That left me with my buddies in Scranton & my lovable island dwellers and I must say we've had quite a year. Unfortunately, this week our time together came to a close and we were forced to part ways. For one it will be only a few short months. For the other it will be 8 loooooonnnnnggggggggg months. And I'm not sure I can make it. They both gave me plenty to think about over the hiatus so I thought I'd spend a little time here reflecting on the year we've shared and the bombshells they chose to drop on me before making their exits.
LOST:
Well, it's been quite a year on the island. And off the island. Actually it's been 2 different years on the island. And thirty years earlier on the island. I'm actually kind of surprised I'm smart enough to still follow this show.
I suppose my tenacity comes from my years of watching Alias. I trust JJ Abrams and his crew to know what they're doing and so far, they've given me one of the most interesting, thought-provoking and downright fun shows I've ever seen.
I'm certainly not going to try and sum up all that's happened this season. From Jack's horrific beard and Hurley's "killing spree" to Kate saying goodbye to Aaron and Ben murdering Locke, it was full of surprises and gut-wrenching moments. I did enjoy seeing Sawyer find a new life in Dharmaville with Juliet, so seeing her fall down the magnet pit was a big bummer. I also hated to see Daniel get shot. By his mother. Before he was born. But hopefully Jack's bomb will set things straight. Of course, we won't know any of that until next January which makes me more than a little angry and tense. But all will be forgiven if Jack & Kate end up together. I promise.
THE OFFICE:
I have to say this season didn't start out as one of my favorites. Mostly because I was still bitter about the whole Andy stealing Jim's proposal thunder thing. But they more than made up for it with that sweet pit-stop proposal in the rain thing. I was more than a little sad to see them give Michael his soulmate in Holly and then send her away. And I really didn't like it when Charles showed up and starting picking on Jim. But suddenly, The Office I knew and loved came back full force when The Michael Scott Paper Company starting throwing cheese puffs and driving a Korean church van. And Ryan dyed his hair.
Last night's finale wasn't the funniest send-off they've given me but it had it's moments. I loved Pam's volleyball skillz, Jim & Dwight celebrating with a hug & Phyllis "spraining her ankle". I also enjoyed Dwight's best friend Rolph and Andy's slightly competitive nature coming out. What I didn't like was the complete lack of Creed or Kelly. I mean, come on! How could you have a company picnic without them? And, although it was kinda the point, it was really hard to watch Slum Dunder Mifflinaire.
But then there was the ending. Even though they gave us a nice warning with the nurse's questions to Pam, it was still nice to see Jim's reaction. I will admit that I was a little disappointed they decided to bring the baby before the wedding, butJim melted my heart when he walked out of that exam room to call Dwight. (How John Krasinski has never been nominated for an Emmy is beyond me. He is so good.)
Last night as The Office ended I realized my TV viewing was done for another season and got a little sad. There's usually nothing on during the summer that holds my attention for more than a week or two, until the DCC comes on of course. But then I saw a commercial that peaked my interest. It seems "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here" will be starting soon and they're planning on dropping the likes of Sanjaya along with Heidi & Spencer into the jungle and giving viewers the chance to call in with ways to torture them. So I suppose all hope is not lost.
Summer is coming and to quote Charles of Dunder Mifflin Corporate, it will be"nice to get a rest from all my rest."



No comments:
Post a Comment