Monday we celebrated Memorial Day with our friends The Chapeks. We feasted on grilled chicken, corn on the cob & banana pudding before settling outside to watch the kids play. Eventually, a baseball game broke out with our kids, some kids from the neighborhood and 2 kids that masquerade as husbands and fathers during normal business hours. They, of course, were the two who ended up on the injury list by the end of the 4th inning.
Monday was also the day we solved the great "Mystery of the Disappearing Keys." I will not go into how I lost them on Saturday, scoured the entire premises for 2 days and had nightmares about the mad serial killer who stole them and envisioned exactly how our episode of "48 Hours Mystery" would play out. Because we found them. On Monday afternoon. On the tailgate of Handiman's truck. Seriously. I do not want to talk about it.
Tuesday the Ocho and I set out to Opry Mills for some shopping and good times. Not only did we have a gift certificate to the Rainforest Cafe, but we had also heard from our friend Nicole that there is now a Croc outlet and you can get a pair for $4.99. We were all. over. it. Ocho picked out a pair in Peacock Blue. She complemented them with a pair of sunglasses from Claire's and a stuffed lion from Rainforest Cafe, which was fabulous by the way. This was our first visit and we couldn't get over it. Very fun indeed.
After our mall excursion, I dropped the Ocho off at Grandma's for a sleepover with her cousin Alex. We all met up at the ballpark that night for the first softball tournament game of the season. There was a 30 minute rain delay but that gave me & Handiman time to gawk at Trace Adkins, who was watching his daughter play at the field next to us. This, in turn, led me to getting "You're Gonna Miss This" stuck in my head all night long. (When I hear it on the radio it always makes me cry. Am I the only one?") I tried to persuade Handiman to go over and mumble the words Honkeytonk Badonkadonk, but he refused. So, we left him alone. Because he could clearly crush us with his bare hands.
Wednesday was the day I had a glimpse into my former life. I spent the day at home alone, like I did back when Handiman was the only one working full time and the Ocho spent her days at school without me. I took a walk around the neighborhood, did a little housework, baked some lemon blossoms, watched a little TV and even took a nap. It was a bittersweet experience that I will treasure always.
Thursday was the day I had most looked forward to all week. We had a scheduled play day at the park with all my Peeps and all their little Peeps. The school year has found all of us scattered here and there and everywhere. It also caused me to be a little more disconnected than usual. I felt like we hadn't all been together in ages and it was so nice to sit and visit, plan our summer get-togethers and watch our kids play. I have missed my friends so much.
Besides re-discovering friends, naptime & lemon blossoms, I have made a few new discoveries this week as well. Like playing Family Feud online with the Ocho. I was always one of those people that shouted words like "idiot" and "ridiculous" at the TV contestants when they couldn't think of something you find in the backseat of a car that indicates it belongs to a mother. Until I froze on that question and struck out with 3 answers left. Car seat? Got it. Toys? Obviously. Then...I blanked.
Hello?!?!? A Baby.
Clearly, I am a ridiculous idiot.
Nevertheless, it has been fun playing every evening before bedtime. You know what else has been fun? Training up a child in the way she should go so that when she is old she will not depart from it.

Oh yeah. Summer is going way better than expected.



3 comments:
Summer is looking so good! :)
Train THAT child! I am too! :-)
Post a Comment