I kicked it off making my usual weekend breakfast of biscuits, scrambled eggs and bacon. It's my belief that bacon makes any day a good day. Once all the food had been properly disposed of, I started laundry and set off to make good on my promise to The Ocho.
I told her earlier in the week that we'd make Saturday Family Games & Movies Day. Because the only thing that can even come close to the goodness that bacon brings is a good game and/or a good movie.
First on the agenda was her very first game of Scattegories. Oh, how I love that game! She didn't exactly excel at it, but it was fun watching her freak out over trying to come up with a bird that starts with the letter "O". Ostrich & Oriole never crossed her mind, by the way. But she did come up with a store for the letter "R" (Ross Dress for Less) as well as a musical group (Rascal Flatts). What I couldn't believe is her failure to name a dessert that starts with "D". Ummm......DONUT! Hello?!?!?
After a little break we tried our hand at Pictionary. Again, this was her first time playing the game so we chose easy words to start with. Once we figured out we had underestimated her powers, we pulled out the harder ones. I was worried I scarred her for life when I was forced to draw the word "stab". But it turned out the violent depiction I sketched wasn't nearly as disturbing to her as my complete lack of realism. She is still criticising me for it.
We drew, we guessed and we laughed. Alot. It was actually the most fun we've had in quite a while. And it was a good thing we had so much fun because right after that we had to break the news that her softball game had not been rained out.
(The whole reason for Family Games & Movies Day was because Saturday was supposed to be a complete wash-out. But it wasn't. So off to the softball field we went.)
As luck would have it, an hour into the game the thunder and lightning rolled in and we packed it up. Handiman headed off to a sales call for work while The Ocho and I headed home for our first flick of the day.
We curled up on the couch with a big blanket, a bowl of popcorn and a bag of M&M's between us and enjoyed "Kit Kittredge, An American Girl" together. We had purposely planned to watch this one while Handiman wasn't home. He's not a big fan of American Girl movies. His loss, because it was A-D-R-O-A-B-L-E. The Ocho is big into reading the books right now so she enjoyed explaining to me who everybody was and what they were about to do.... right before they did it. I finally told her to hush.
Once Handiman was home we had dinner and played our last game of the night. We let Ocho choose and ended up with her favorite! game! ever!, Clue Jr. She handily beat us (It was Mrs. Peacock at 2:00 with lemonade, if you're wondering).
The grand finale of the evening was watching "Bolt". We missed seeing it in the theater and since Miley Cyrus voices the little girl in the movie, I haven't stopped hearing about it for months. Finally, we saw it. And again we laughed. Alot. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised and how good it was.
Actually, I was pleasantly surprised how good Saturday was. The weatherman tried to convince me all week long that I wouldn't be happy about it. Just like always, he was wrong.



1 comment:
Sounds like a lot of fun was had. I tried playing Boggle with my kids the other day and it was a bit much for Madison. She tried to score the word "GUR". As in....."Grrrrrr, like a lion"
Post a Comment