Thursday, May 21, 2009

Repeating First Grade

If computer class was my learning experience and kindergarten was my trial by fire, then first grade was my comfort zone.

I spent at least 2 hours every Monday, Wednesday & Friday working with our 2 first grade classes and their teachers. Since I'm not that far removed from being a first grade room-mom, I went in feeling pretty secure in my abilities. It also helped that I've knew both teachers so well.

My main responsibility early on was to work with all the children on their reading and spend extra time with those who were struggling. I will never forget the sense of accomplishment I felt when one little girl I worked especially hard with made her first 100 on a vocabulary test. I also built a special rapport with a girl who has a learning disability. We would play phonics card games and eventually, the child who would never smile or look me in the eye was running to me in the mornings and asking if she could be the first one to read with me that day.

Since I'm usually one who gravitates towards the underdog, it would be easy to just dwell on the time I spent with those kids who needed my help the most. But the ones who didn't need me at all made quite an impression too. After 30 minutes of listening to a struggling reader, I always liked seeing the ones who could read at a 3rd grade level coming my way.

These two classes boasted quite a cast of characters. From Ian the dirt bike champion to Lilly the southern belle with a pet frog. There was Walker the philosopher & Tanner the comedian. Simeon the master story-teller & Seth the quiet gentleman. Malia gave the sweetest hugs & Emily had the sweetest smile. And then there was Sam.

I tried to convince the Ocho early on that when she got old enough to date, it might benefit her to give a younger man a chance. Of course, she rolled her eyes. After all, I was the one with the crush on Sam, not her. And don't worry, Handiman knows all about it.

Sam is the quintessential southern gentleman. He walked his little sister to class every day, spoke in the thickest, cutest accent you have EVER heard and did everything with passion and conviction. He will also one day be the leader of the free world. Mark. My. Words. He could convince anybody in that class to do anything he wanted. He actually organized an exercise group where he was the "coach" and everybody else had to run laps at recess. He came to school with an organizational chart, a whistle & stars to place by the names of each classmate that completed their laps.

And they did it. Without question. Without hesitation. Because Sam? He's the man.

It was hard to watch my kindergarten friends graduate, but I knew all along that I'd see them again next year. But my first grade buddies are moving up to the "big hall". Next year I'll only see them in computer. I guess that will have to be enough.

Me & Mrs. White's First Grade Class:


Me & Mrs. Ledbetter's First Grade Class:
p>post signature





No comments: