Friday, May 8, 2009

Relinquishing the Crown

The Ocho has spent the past 9 months living in her version of Utopia: An All-Girls Class.

The Princess Class of 2009 will go down in history at our little school. It was the first (and probably last) of it's kind. While the girls reaped the benefits of gaining more self-confidence and leadership abilities, they also learned to get on each others nerves and stress their teacher out with their constant whining and squealing and cat-fighting.

But we'll not dwell on that now. We'll think about the good times. Like having a treasure box filled with Hannah Montana stickers and lip gloss. And getting away with watching movies like "The Secret Garden" and "Annie" during recess. And have I mentioned the craft projects?

On particularly crafty (and generous) mom in the class would come in every few weeks and help the girls make things like bedazzled mirrors for their lockers and tie-dyed shirts with their names and a crown sewn on. No, I'm not kidding.

And let's not forget their teacher, Mrs. Eller. (Perhaps Queen Eller would be more appropriate.) She decked the classroom out with Disney Princess curtains at the beginning of the school year and placed ladybugs on the door with each girl's name on them. At Christmas she presented each girl with a denim bag monogrammed with their initial, in pink of course.

She also refereed many fights, diffused many meltdowns and heard more than her fair share of giggling and "which Jonas brother is the cutest" conversations.

Long live the Queen.

Oh, they have been a spoiled lot. And there has been much royal drama. But now, their reign is coming to an end and they will have but one short summer to prepare for the impending invasion of ..gasp...boys.

I had an idea to capture their royal highness's in a photograph and enlisted the help of some friends. First I called my friend Terra who has a stash of tiaras in her garage. Then I talked to Karen, our art teacher with a real fancy camera. The result turned out so cute I'm going to give each of the mom's one next week at our Mother's Day tea.

So now, I present to you the Princess Class of 2009.



post signature

1 comment:

Greek Grit's father said...

This does cause one to wonder why someone would have a stash of tiaras in their garage.