Monday, December 24, 2007

Tradition

We are very blessed to have all of our family so close during the holidays. Every Christmas since we've been married we have kept the same schedule; Christmas Eve is spent with The Woods and Christmas Day with the Masseys. Because there's not a lot of "at home" time, we have designated the day before Christmas Eve as our family day. There are three things that MUST happen on this day or the entire holiday season is put in extreme jeopardy.

First is the baking of Christmas cookies. Lydia and I break out the rolling pin and the cookie cutters and get down to business:


After they have baked and cooled Dave joins us at the table for some meticulous decorating. I have to say that the man is very skilled with the icing:


and Lydia as made drastic improvements. She prefers the "smear it with my fingers and get it all over my face and hair" method:


This year my cookies took on a rather distinctive motif. Dave said they looked like gingerbread boyz from the hood:


After the cookies are done we pile in the car for our Christmas lights tour. We spent about 3 hours last night riding around Nashville. Here are a few of our favorite spots.

This is the most beautiful nativity scene I have ever seen up close:



I am a sucker for the Peanuts gang:


This family has around 150,000 lights and invite you to get out and walk up their driveway. It is spectactular:







Once our tour is complete we head home to put on our PJ's. We tuck Lydia into bed and Dave & I settle in for our annual viewing of Christmas Vacation. The holiday can't officially begin until I hear Aunt Bethany sing The Star Spangled Banner. As Ellen so eloquently puts it, "I don't know what to say, except it's Christmas and we're all in misery."

I hope your family has a blessed holiday filled with tradition, love and laughter.

No comments: