Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My apologies to Omaha

I know I displayed little to no hope for Omaha, NE being a haven for musical talent. I must humbly beg forgiveness and say I was pleasantly surprised tonight. There were some really good singers. My favorite of the night was Jason from Stout, IA pop. 500. Sure, he forgot the words more than a few times but once he got it...He Got It! Plus he was cute and you know how I feel about that.

I also liked Elizabeth (America's Next Top Model), Angelica (her sob story about her dad didn't really make me feel sorry for her. It just made me think she was a brat) & David (the rocker who sounded "a little bit worthy" whatever that means).

As far as the crazies go Chris (the Kelly Clarkson Stalker) had happiness flyin everywhere. As soon as he said he wanted to audition for the red carpet job I said out loud "We'll see him at the finale". I suppose what he lacks in talent and charisma he makes up for in enthusiasm. Or not.

Sarah the goth wrestler singing what sounded like a Roger's & Hammerstein song was frightening and unexpectedly cheerful. Randy summed it up when he said rather hurriedly "completely not right. Wrong." Exactly.

Then there was Johnny the volunteer performer. He cured Paula's hiccups and gave Simon clearance for his best quote of the evening; "That was everything I hate......Everything."

For me the real story of the night was the judges. Why is Simon so nice this year? He's giving second chances and calling people sweetheart and telling them their nice and he likes them. What is up with that? And did Randy say "Yo Dawg" once tonight? Did he use the word "pitchy" even once? Did he? No! The only one that was remotely herself was Paula. She was late. She was doing the seal clap and laying her head all over the table. She even let off a fantastic hiccup in the middle of a performance. Now she knows how to bring it. The other two need to step up their game.

Next up is Miami. Heaven help us.

No comments: