Thursday, January 31, 2008

She Speaks


I’ve been a church going, Bible believing, hymn singing, Beth Moore studying, Focus on the Family listening Christian for most of my life. I know what it means to have a calling on your life. I just never chose to think I had one on mine. It wasn’t until I started this little hobby called a blog that I had to consider that the written word might be the instrument God had planned for me to play all along. I always loved to write but I never thought I had a story to tell. Since I have been posting here I have received some truly encouraging words and have felt God nudging me to give this writing thing a try. My husband has been adamant that I get serious about it and my dear friend Gena (a real life magazine editor!) actually told me I should pursue it. There have been signs over the past 6 months that could be interpreted as confirmation that I’m heading in the right direction. Still, I needed something more. Like a burning bush or a talking donkey. Or a lady named Lysa TerKeurst.

Oprah introduced us about two years ago although Lysa probably wouldn't remember it. She was actually with Oprah and I was in my living room folding laundry. She was one of many guests that day but it was her story that mesmerized me. It was partly because it was obvious this lady was a Christian and I do love when a Christian infiltrates Oprah’s lair. But mostly it was her story. She and her family told the most remarkable tale of God’s love I have ever heard. For days I couldn’t shake the memory of it. I was inspired, challenged and humbled by this woman’s faith and courage. I eventually went back to my humdrum lukewarm walk with Jesus and put the story of Lysa TerKeurst out of my mind. She had shown fantastic faith but she was obviously one of those super Christians that had a direct line to Jesus and His will. I had laundry to do.

A few months ago, I was listening to Dr. Dobson while washing dishes when he announced his guest for the day. I became excited when I heard her name. It was through his introduction that I discovered that she is an author, speaker and co-host of Proverbs 31 Ministries on national radio. I knew it! She was a super Christian and in full-time ministry to boot. As she recounted her story I was once again hanging on every word. This time it perplexed me. Her testimony is mostly about adoption and I knew that, at least for now, this wasn’t something God was calling our family to do. So what in the world was it about this lady’s story that got to me? I stood in my kitchen sobbing and wondering what excuses I had for not being completely obedient to the things God had asked of me. But once again, instead of getting busy with the business of heaven I dissolved back into my daily routine. “Good for her” I thought. God obviously had big plans for her from the very beginning. I had dishes to wash.

This brings me to Tuesday. While doing my blog rounds I read Boomama’s post notifying her readers of “She Speaks”. It’s a conference designed specifically for women in ministry, namely speakers, writers and bloggers and is headed up by none other than, you guessed it, Lysa TerKerust. I could not believe it! This chick just won’t leave me alone.

I will admit that I was initially intrigued by the conference because there was a chance that I might meet Boomama and become her lifelong friend. Then I read a little further. In the back of my mind I felt compelled by the opportunity to learn from honest-to-goodness professional writers and find out if I really have what it takes to pursue it. Then I saw the fee ($525) and given our current financial situation, I felt compelled to forget it. I decided to accept my fate. I mean, I just blog for fun. I’m not a professional writer and besides if God wanted me to enter He’d have to email me Himself.

Well, since He doesn’t have an email address He used my friend Shelly’s. He’s funny like that. Not even knowing that I was aware of this conference, she sent a short and sweet email telling me that there was a scholarship contest and she thought I should enter. (I know God doesn’t need to use email but I’m pretty sure He gets a kick out of calling my bluff). Let me be very clear. I’m not convinced I’ll win. In fact, I’m pretty convinced I won’t. For me, the challenge is entering in the first place. God can’t give anything to us that we aren’t willing to accept. I love to write and I’d love the opportunity to tell my story some day. Am I gifted? I’m not sure, but I'm now confident that I have a pretty awesome story to tell. If God wants me to tell it He'll provide the tools to do it. And maybe He’ll send me another email. This time he might use Lysa’s address.

10 comments:

Tina Vega said...

I love your post Teresa - it is HILARIOUS! I just trekked on over from Lysa's site (oops, sorry... that name again). Your post registered right up there on my Laugh-O-Meter next to Big & BooMama's gutbusting entries!

You're so right about the Lord. When He wants it to happen, HE WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN! It takes much of the pressure off, doesn't it?

Many blessings to you Teresa!!

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Girl, you are talented, gifted and all the above! I am so happy you are taking this leap! I believe this is where your calling is. You are an amazing writer and I am praying for you! I can't wait to see how God blesses you in this!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You are truly gifted. I so hope you get to go and you get to meet Boo & Big. You'll need to tell them who introduced you to them:) Oh, you'll probably need a travel companion. I'm sure I'm available. I can't wait to see what God has in store for you!

AS

jam'n bell said...

There are few people whom I can say are writers and you are definitely one of them. I am very impressed, and actually surprised, at how prolific you are with words. And so funny!
God definitely keeps trying to steer us towards a path that He knows is what we are destined to be on. The words you write are truly inspiring, if not enlightening. Can't wait to see how this walk turns out.
-A.Bell

Nicole @ Four Real said...

I told you AS was going to try to tag along! Do I know her or what? :)

Tammy said...

Uh huh! Looking forward to reading your articles and telling my friends.."that's my friend". :-)

Praying for you as God moves in your life! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Great Post. I can't get enough of hearing women share the story of God getting a hold of their heart. The email story as funny as it was is such a powerful reminder of what an awesome God we serve. Thanks for the reminder to never underestimate his power.
Great job.

Luanne

Sandy said...

I loved this post! Pursue your dream and blessings on being able to attend.

Anonymous said...

loved your post...i guess i need to watch that oprah clip...

i entered too, even if i don't win, i'm praying God will make a way...for all of us who want to go!!

be blessed!

Anonymous said...

To my new blog friend hope you win the contest I feel I should get to know you since Angie said I'm staying at the mansion this year
Love your writing