Obviously, I would already be disqualified which is why I'm only a chaperon. I had the opportunity to be a judge, or "Spelling Master", but declined. While I am quite the spelling genius, I didn't want the pressure. After all, I'd have to come up with a sentence for every word. And it would need to be a sentence that an elementary school student could comprehend. It might not sound hard, but you try making up a sentence for the word "resolute" that would make sense to an 8 year old. See, it's not that easy.
I also don't won't to be the one to disqualify them and make them cry.
So, I'll be sitting in the chaperon area with my friend Tabby. She offered to let us ride with her and I quickly accepted. When I told the Ocho, she quickly surmised that Tabby has a son and her son has a friend who's also a boy. And they would be in the car too. So, 1 boy + another boy + the Ocho = Not gonna happen.
She's also a mathematical genius.
So she'll be riding in the car carrying the other 2 girls from 2nd grade and I'll be with the boys and Tabby. Because the Ocho + 2 other 2nd grade girls = Not gonna happen.
Not only do I get to skip school today but it will be the last time I have to quiz her on the ridiculously long list of words she's had to learn. We've spent our 30 minute commute to school everyday for the last several weeks spelling things like "eaglet", "peninsula", "historian" and "violinist". I had a big laugh when I saw the word "cassette" on the list. That's another one that is impossible to put in a comprehensible sentence.
We'll supposed to be home around 6:00 pm and I'll post an update as soon as I can. She's already a little nervous so there's no telling what's gonna happen.
**Edited to add: I find it ironic that I just spell-checked this post and had more errors than I've ever had.



4 comments:
Good Luck LYDIA! I know mommy is more nervous for you than you are! :) Cant wait to hear the results!
When I read this I immediately noted in my head that you spelled chaperone wrong and yes, I thought that was ironic or you were going to spell a word wrong here or there to be funny;) But then I googled the word and found that you can spell it with an e or without. I would prefer it with an e...could you go back and fix it.
Wow, Teresa, BN just slapped you around on your blog. You just gonna take that? I guess everyone's a critic, huh?
I hope the Bee went well. Caleb went last year, and was out in the first round and demonstrated tremendous honesty and character when he did it.
Lydia, you rock!
Your car dilemma sounds like us with Caleb riding with two girls.
I hope Lydia did well!
And I would be your friend who is not judgmental when it comes to spelling.
Post a Comment