Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday sure ain't what it used to be

Back in the day, before marriage and kids, I worked for several different companies. No matter what the business was, Friday usually consisted of the same things; casual dress, long lunch, slacking off and living for 5:00 pm.

In the elementary school business, things are a little different.

For instance, this morning I spent time subbing for a kindergarten teacher. The same teacher who has what some may or may not consider to be the worst behaved class in the entire school. I had to break up 2 fights, repair a car made of Lego's, mediate a dispute between two girls, one of whom was punched in the eye and moderate the nightmare known as show-and-tell. All before 8:30 am. I was in the class until 9:15. The last 45 minutes are kind of a blur.

From there I went to the other kindergarten class to supervise their restroom break and snack time. After 5 "I don't like this!"'s and 7 "why can't we have somethin' else?"'s, I gave my famous "You Get What You Get And You Don't Pitch A Fit!" speech. Then I had to help them make a craft with construction paper, muffin cups and glue. Once they created a flower garden with the muffin cups, I had to glue cloves in the center to make them smell nice. Of course, half the boys said they "reeked".

I find it ironic that 6 year-old boys think anything reeks.

From there I went to a first grade class to give make-up tests and grade papers.

And now, I'm putting the finishing touches on lunch with a chocolate cupcake, courtesy of a 1st grade boy named Drew.

That is one of the benefits of working at an elementary school that isn't listed in your orientation packet. You can pretty much count on a cupcake at least once a week, if not once a day.

So, I guess the moral of the story is this. Friday's might be easier in corporate America. But hard work in the school system is always fairly rewarded with cupcakes.

TGIF.

post signature

4 comments:

Gena said...

You were SO made for that world!

Ashley said...

I guess that is what makes your school different from public schools. When kids brought in stuff for me to eat, I steered far, far, FAR away.

AND 6 year old boys don't "reek" they just have a lovely gym sock and locker room fragrance that appears the day after they turn 5 1/2 for no known reason.

Big Nanny said...

1)It was the almost daily cupcakes that kept me at KOTK for so long. I couldn't leave that job until I knew that there were cupcake stands coming to town to handle my addiction.
2)I'm so glad that you have to participate in the craft making. It makes me happy.

Tammy said...

I would take more than just a cupcake to do what you do!