It's proving to be a somewhat emotional experience for me. First, there's the chance that every document, every picture, every iTunes download is forever lost. (I actually started a back-up a week ago but never finished.)
Then there's the realization that we don't have the money for a new one right now and I could be forced to spend my free time doing housework, cleaning closets or ..shudder.. watching "American Choppers" with Handiman.
I'm also coming to realize just how heavily I rely on the information superhighway to navigate through life. It's how I get my news, weather reports, sports updates, friend's whereabouts and tv listings.
Handiman has been very kind to lend me his work laptop so I could post here and check Facebook. But still, it's not the same. I need my computer.
Without it at my beckon call, I am helpless.
Fortunately, I thought I had the perfect distraction set up yesterday. In what was a brief moment of genius and forethought, I had gone online hours before the crash to purchase tickets for the very 1st showing of the Hannah Montana movie on Friday. The showing was at 12:00 and we arrived at the theater around 11:30. Every show was sold out and the line for Fandango was already out the front door.
(Oh, Internet, what will I do without you?)
On the drive in, I knew there was a storm forecasted but honestly didn't think much of it. Not until halfway through the movie, when some lady thought it would be a fine idea to stand up in a packed-out theater full of small children and yell "TORNADO!!!!!!!!!!!!". Brilliant.
I guess someone had called her to give her a heads-up. They just neglected to tell her the tornado wasn't actually near, ya know, the movie theater.
I'll be honest. At first I didn't understand her. And apparently, neither did anyone else. I saw her run out and a few families follow her, but for the most part everybody just kept watching the show. After a few minutes, I decided to call Handiman for a weather report. He informed me that 2 tornadoes had been sited, one in Murfreesboro about 30 miles from us, and another in Spring Hill. Where we live.
Terrific.
He assured us we would be OK so we sat down to watch the rest of the movie. A few minutes later, the management came in to assure us they would let everyone know if tornadoes came any closer. They also reminded us it might not be a good idea to cause panic and pandemonium in a crowded theater. And then they received a nice round of applause.
After the movie, I phoned my friend Nicole. I figured if she didn't blow away, our house was probably standing and it was safe to come home. She and her family were fine but she said our neighbors in Murfreesboro weren't so lucky. My heart sank a little since that's where Harleyman (my brother-in-law) lives.
Once we got home I started making calls to make sure our families were OK. RubyDooby said the tornado hit very close to HM's house, but he didn't sustain any damage. A true blessing.
We have other family and friends in that area but so far, we haven't heard that any of them lost their homes or were hurt.
It was so heartbreaking to hear about the young mother and her 9 week old daughter that were killed. I've thought alot about that young father. He lost his wife, his baby and his home in a matter of seconds.
I think I'll stop complaining about my silly computer problems and go hug my daughter.


1 comment:
Oh no she di'int. Screaming like a fool in the movies. Wow.
I'm sad about your computer problem too, albeit minor compared to other tragedies.
Glad y'all are safe. And thanks to Handiman for sharing the Internet love.
Post a Comment