There are plenty of things in the world that I hold no hope of doing. Like learning to speak Japanese. Or attending Will & Kate's wedding. Or organizing my Ziploc container cabinet.
And until a month ago, it never even entered my mind that I might one day stand in an art museum gazing at original works by Monet, Renoir, Degas or Manet.
Never. Ever. In a million years. Ever.
But it happened.
Now, don't go thinkin' I'm some high-falootin' art connoisseur. Not even close. But I'm pretty well educated and I can tell the difference between a Monet & a Thomas Kinkade. I've seen pictures in textbooks, watched documentaries on TV, heard celebrities talk about their visits to Paris to view these paintings and I've even owned a knock-off print that I'm sure I bought someplace classy like the Nashville Flea Market.
When I heard through my friend Karen (who happens to be our art teacher and very well versed on such things) that The Frist Center had an exhibit of Impressionist art usually only displayed at the Museum d'Orsay in Paris I didn't immediately believe her. Then a friend told me that she actually knew of a family from our area that saved for a long time to take a trip to Paris last year and view this very exhibit. They weren't so thrilled it was here now.
I knew then and there I had to see it for myself.
And not only are all the major Impressionists represented but also on display is "Whistler's Mother".
Crazy Talk.
So on Friday Handiman, The Ocho & I set out on our final adventure of 2010. I'll have to admit that LO wasn't all that impressed. Of course, she doesn't have an understanding just yet of how influential these works have been or how ridiculously famous the names on the wall are. All she knew was there were lots of paintings of naked women. And it made her a tad uncomfortable.
But I was mesmerized. Not just by the beauty of the work itself, although it was breathtaking. But I was standing a foot away from Claude Monet's actual signature! And when we walked into the gallery where "Whistler's Mother" is on display I couldn't get over it. It's so iconic. So familiar. And it was RIGHT THERE! And it's much larger in person that you might imagine.
I'm pretty sure I walked out of The Frist a little classier than when I went in. It only stands to reason.
But before you go thinkin' The Woods have gone all hoity toity on you, think again. Before we took in the classic art, we had lunch at a classic restaurant in Nashville.
And until a month ago, it never even entered my mind that I might one day stand in an art museum gazing at original works by Monet, Renoir, Degas or Manet.
Never. Ever. In a million years. Ever.
But it happened.
Now, don't go thinkin' I'm some high-falootin' art connoisseur. Not even close. But I'm pretty well educated and I can tell the difference between a Monet & a Thomas Kinkade. I've seen pictures in textbooks, watched documentaries on TV, heard celebrities talk about their visits to Paris to view these paintings and I've even owned a knock-off print that I'm sure I bought someplace classy like the Nashville Flea Market.
When I heard through my friend Karen (who happens to be our art teacher and very well versed on such things) that The Frist Center had an exhibit of Impressionist art usually only displayed at the Museum d'Orsay in Paris I didn't immediately believe her. Then a friend told me that she actually knew of a family from our area that saved for a long time to take a trip to Paris last year and view this very exhibit. They weren't so thrilled it was here now.
I knew then and there I had to see it for myself.
And not only are all the major Impressionists represented but also on display is "Whistler's Mother".
Crazy Talk.
So on Friday Handiman, The Ocho & I set out on our final adventure of 2010. I'll have to admit that LO wasn't all that impressed. Of course, she doesn't have an understanding just yet of how influential these works have been or how ridiculously famous the names on the wall are. All she knew was there were lots of paintings of naked women. And it made her a tad uncomfortable.
But I was mesmerized. Not just by the beauty of the work itself, although it was breathtaking. But I was standing a foot away from Claude Monet's actual signature! And when we walked into the gallery where "Whistler's Mother" is on display I couldn't get over it. It's so iconic. So familiar. And it was RIGHT THERE! And it's much larger in person that you might imagine.
I'm pretty sure I walked out of The Frist a little classier than when I went in. It only stands to reason.
But before you go thinkin' The Woods have gone all hoity toity on you, think again. Before we took in the classic art, we had lunch at a classic restaurant in Nashville.

That's right, Elliston Place Soda Shop. It was my first time to eat there. It was a little run down inside and perhaps a little less clean than I would have liked. But I can say I've been there now. And the hot fudge sundae was delicious.

Since you're not allowed to take pics inside the exhibit I thought I'd post pics I found online of some of the pieces we saw. This way I won't forget and you'll be oh so impressed with how cultured I am.
Manet: On the beach

Degas: Rehearsal of a Ballet on Stage
Whistler: Whistler's Mother
The exhibit runs through January 23rd. If you're in the area you should definitely check it out. Then you'll be as classy as me.




No comments:
Post a Comment