Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My Favorite Things

The Christmas season kicks off for different people in different ways. Some mark it with Thanksgiving Day, some with Santa's arrival at the mall. Some crazy people start it before Halloween. For me personally, Christmas can't start without Oprah's Favorite Things. Not that I've ever been a recipient of the bountiful goodness that she bestows on lucky audience members every year. I haven't been within 500 hundred miles of that gravy train. For some unexplainable reason, I love the surprise and unbridled hysteria that ensues when all of those unsuspecting folks realize they just hit the mother load. I cry every time. I'll admit it. If I can't be showered with plasma screens, digital video cameras, kitchen appliances and expensive cupcakes at least I can enjoy watching others reap the reward of being in the right place at the right time. I will confess that I really only enjoy the first 5 minutes. After that, I tend to get a little jealous and by the end of the hour I'm downright cranky. That's what Christmas is all about, right?

Due to circumstances beyond my control I missed the show yesterday so I went online this morning to watch it on You Tube. I had to wonder, could it be the same online the day after? The answer is Yes It Could. I cried sitting right here at my computer. What of it? It also got me to thinking. I live a nice life. Not Oprah nice but nice just the same. If I could make a list what would be on it?

In an effort to help you all know me better and perhaps give you some holiday gift ideas, I would like to present Teresa's favorite things in no particular order. (Now don't start crying. You're not going to actually receive any of this from me. This is purely informational)

These are my Ugg slippers. Oprah has Uggs on her list too. She payed hundreds of Oprah dollars for hers. I received them as a Christmas gift from my husband quite a few years ago. They are still in great condition and are my comfortable, reliable companion whether taking the dog out at night or shuffling through the house in the early morning.


My Kitchen Aid stand alone mixer. Love It! My mom gave this to me last Christmas. I had secretly wanted one because all the best cooks use them: Rachael Ray, Paula Deen, Giada De Laurentiis, Trisha Davis. If I can't be a real cook, I can at least accessorize like one.


Speaking of Paula Deen, her magazine is the greatest. I bought myself a subscription last year and read it cover to cover when it comes in. Great recipes, fun articles and really, really pretty pictures of fattening food. Not recommended for anyone on Weight Watchers.


The Chi flat iron. This came highly recommended by the guy who cuts my hair. His name is Jim and truth be told if I had a picture of him, he would be on this list. Of course, his wife might get a little offended. He cuts hair for a few of my girlfriends too. We secretly refer to him as the Hair Whisperer. This flat iron is expensive and worth every penny, just like a hair appointment with Jim.


David: 90 Days to a Heart Like His. This is a Beth Moore devotional book that my girlfriends and I did together this year. I could actually fill an entire list with Beth Moore books because she is after all The Bomb. This book is perfect for morning devotionals and covers a variety of topics. It's also really pretty and has thick paper that is really fun to write on. Of course, I recommend it for it's spiritual value, not it's super cool fun paper.


This is my favorite driving CD, Travis Cottrell: Alive Forever. I have been a Travis Cottrell fan for years. I first heard him over a decade ago at my first Living Proof Conference. He is an amazing singer and songwriter and his heart for worship is infectious. If you've ever been to a conference then you know what I mean. A couple of years ago his family joined my church and now he and his wife Angela sing in our choir. Not to name drop or anything. It's just that I have actually sung "In Christ Alone" with Travis Cottrell. Many times. That's all.


Milano Cookies. Pure joy. Oprah always includes desserts on her list so why can't I? I discovered this cookie when I was pregnant with Lydia. I was obsessed with it then and might have used cravings as an excuse to eat an entire bag in one day. So what? They're small bags.


The Office on DVD. It's no secret that I am an Office fan. I realize that not everyone gets the humor of this show. For all of you sad souls, I give you the words of Steve Carell: "If you don't know a Michael Scott then you are Michael Scott." Well said. I am the proud owner of all three seasons on DVD. Since the writers strike has halted production and we may not get any more new episodes this year I'll be breaking these out quite often. Nothing brings the funny like this show.


My green hoodie sweater. I found this at Goody's recently and love, love, love it. I own the green one but I'm thinking of getting another color too. It's can be dressed up or worn casually and it's very comfy and affordable. Let me just say that I wear a camisole tank underneath cause I'm not Jennifer Lopez.


Bill Cosby Himself. I wanted to include a movie and looked over my DVD collection. I own a few classics (Raising Arizona, The Princess Bride, Spinal Tap) but this one holds a special place in my heart. I'll let it serve as a shout-out to my Judson friends Tammy & Natasha. We discovered it while in college and never laughed at anything more. Now that I am a parent I realize just how funny it is. "The same thing happens every night" has become my reality. If you've never seen this you have no idea what you're missing.

So there your have it. I hope this has given you greater insight into my life and a few holiday gift-giving ideas. If you have a favorite thing to share, leave me a comment. Comments are also some of my favorite things.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Love the list...especially the movie!
Ohhhh, the memories!

"I am not the boss of my house. I don't know how I lost it. I don't know where I lost it. I don't think I ever had it. But I've seen the boss's job... and I don't want it."
--Bill Cosby