So, back to the concert tickets. Unless you've been hiding under a rock the last couple of months you know that tickets to the Hannah Montana concert sold out in less than 2 minutes, mostly to ticket brokers who were turning around and selling them for anywhere from $200 to $3000 a piece so they could squash the dreams of little children everywhere. I decided that while I love my daughter and would move heaven and earth to make her dreams come true, I also needed to pay the mortgage and the Hannah Montana experience was not in our future.
As time passed, I kept my eye on ticket prices just thinking they might start dropping. No such luck. I also tried a few times to win them from various radio stations around town. I spent an entire hour one day listening to the likes of people named Ne-Yo, Timbaland and Soulja Boy. (That is proof enough that I love my daughter, don't ya think?) After that profound waste of time I still couldn't win the tickets and.....that's an hour of my life I'll never get back.
This brings me to yesterday. We had plans to spend time with my parents for Thanksgiving around noon and then we were going to spend the evening relaxing at home. While waiting for Dave to get home so we could head to mom's house, I decided to kill some time on the computer. On a whim, I decided to see what tickets were going for since it was the actual day of the concert. I logged on to Ticketmaster and waited for the inevitable message "no tickets are available" which would then send me to the broker sites. That's when it happened. I looked on my screen and saw the words "Section 113 Seats 9 and 10. Would you like to purchase these tickets?" ......Wait.....what?......excuse me?......what is happening???????
I literally started to shake, my heart started pounding in my chest and sweat starting rolling down my face. TICKETS??????????????ARE AVAILABLE??????????????FOR REGULAR PRICE???????????????? I freaked out. No. Seriously. I am a grown woman with a reasonable amount of education and maturity and I FREAKEDCOMPLETELYOUT!!!!!
I started screaming at the computer and pacing the floor. Then it occurred to me to buy the tickets. I quickly put a call in to Dave just to get his approval and then I clicked the magic button. The button that would prove to the world that you don't have to forfeit your child's college education to spend 3 hours listening to a 15 year old girl sing "I Got Nerve". You don't have to humiliate yourself by hanging on a Hannah Montana statue for 3 consecutive days just to win tickets. You can buy them on Ticketmaster the day of the concert for regular price!!!!!! This moment was nothing short of good vs. evil. And good would reign victorious.
I decided to use my powers for good instead of evil and share the wealth. I called all my girlfriends with daughters and strongly suggested they get online...like NOW! They did and 2 of them (that I know of) scored tickets. The three of us, in that moment, secured our places in history as the Coolest Moms on the Planet. Dad secured his place as Best Husband In The Universe when he offered to chauffeur us to the venue and then pick us up when it was over so we wouldn't have to park. I've never been more in love with him than at that moment.
Last night I watched my daughter's eyes light up brighter than I've ever seen them. She danced, sang, screamed, waved her arms, clapped her hands and shook her $10 Hannah Montana glow stick. I myself might have in a moment of weakness sung along to every word. It's possible that I screamed like a school girl for The Jonas Brothers. It is not entirely out of the question that I rocked out to "Pumpin Up The Party." All I know is Lydia and I made some memories last night that we'll never forget. Her best bud Selah and her mom Nicole (one of my best buds) ended up with seats directly behind us. This is how I know that a thirtysomething year-old woman who is pregnant and was hospitalized a few days ago with extreme hyperemesis was bouncing up and down and singing "Nobody's Perfect" at the top of her lungs. This is the power of the Hannah Montana Experience. Life really is what you make it!!! (Of course, she had barf bags in her purse just in case.)
The concert was a blast. There were fireworks, confetti shooters, amazing dancers and actual real live singing. Also, yesterday happened to be Miley Cyrus' birthday so we got to sing Happy Birthday to her and watch as her entire family surprised her with a cake onstage. Her cute little Jonas brother boyfriend presented her with a dozen roses. Lydia thought all of that was really cool. For her encore she brought out her dad and they sang "Ready, Set, Don't Go" together. Too sweet.
I guess Hannah Montana is right after all. You should never give up on your dreams! Follow your heart and reach for the stars!! You can have the best of both worlds!! The world where you see Hannah Montana in concert and the world where you pay your mortgage.
Here a a few photos:
Lydia and Selah with their concert sign and matching hats. Lydia almost opted not to wear the hat. I quickly informed her that this was the very moment for which this hat was created.
Selah, Brianna & Lydia on the way to the concert. This was the moment just before Brianna wisely exclaimed "I think our mom's are more excited about this than we are." Sad but true.
Me & Lydia with the golden tickets.
Coolest Moms On The Planet.
The cute-as-a-button Jonas Brothers.
Hannah in all her blonde-wig glory. Everytime I tried to get a clear shot of her facing us she would turn around.
I finally captured her face. This is after she transformed into Miley Cyrus. If I were 15 I would so own this outfit.
I guess I reached the pinnacle of motherhood yesterday. This will likely be my crowning achievement. I will be spending today in Disney Detox.


2 comments:
How sad is it that just reading that I have chills and a tear filled eye... HOW FUN... even if N had to have her puke bag... that was PRICELESS!
YOU, my friend, are indeed one of the best mom's on the planet!
Post a Comment