Monday, January 28, 2008

Passing it down

There is a natural tendency in parenting to encourage your children to love what you love. Those who are sports enthusiasts long for the day their child is old enough to hold a bat or throw a football. Those who love music can't wait to sign up their tyke for piano lessons. Those who love nature are thrilled to take that first hike or swim with their offspring. We all have at least one thing we want to pass down to the next generation in hopes they will appreciate it as much as we do. Over the past week I have seen my dreams realized. I can confidently say that my daughter has inherited one of her mom's favorite pastimes and I couldn't be prouder. I get a little misty just thinking about it. Lydia loves the Brady Bunch.

The Brady's became a part of my life when I was in elementary school and have remained a vital part of my childhood memories. I don't have an exact count but it is not completely beyond reason to estimate that I have seen each episode at least 20 times. As a latch-key kid in middle school The Brady's were the perfect babysitters in the afternoon after school. Since my childhood was far from a fairytale, I relied on them to provide a much needed escape from reality. It goes without saying that in my fantasies I was Marcia. Cindy was too young and Jan was, well.....Jan. I relished the thought of living in their world of family camping trips, school dances, TV talent shows and the occasional music star showing up and inviting me to my senior prom. I also really wanted the long hair of gold. Alas, those dreams were never fully realized but to this day I can't see an episode without recalling the good times we shared every weekday at 4:00.

My friend Nicole knew of my deep and abiding love for the Brady's (as does anyone who dares to call me friend) and gifted me with the ultimate birthday present, The Brady Bunch Season 1 on DVD! I couldn't wait to break it open and begin to pour out this treasure trove of life lessons to my sweet daughter. We're almost completely through disc 3 as I write this. She's seen the first camping trip (when Cindy falls in the lake), Jan's allergy (it was Tiger's flea powder all along!), the checker trading stamp showdown (the house of cards!Marcia's bracelet!the sewing machine or the rowboat?!?!?) and my personal all-time favorite Father of the Year. I get teary every time Mike reads Marcia's letter. (Also an interesting bit of trivia: When the newspaper editor reads the 3 finalists names, one of them is named David Wood! Lydia got a kick out of that.)

She's still a little rusty on the details since she thought Cindy's name was Sally for the first couple of episodes and she's confused on whether Peter or Jan is older. Not to worry. I'm setting her straight as we go along. Last night she finally said the words I've been waiting to hear for seven years "Mommy, Marcia is my favorite!". She's a chip off the old block.

Last night the Brady's received the ultimate endorsement. When Dave was tucking her in she took notice that she has exactly six Webkinz, 3 boys and 3 girls. She quickly arranged them according to size and renamed them all: Greg, Marcia, Peter, Jan, Bobby & Cindy.

And so I have ensured that the Brady's will have a place in my lineage for generations to come. That's groovy, don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so need to borrow your DVD. Andrea got her fill of the Bradys when they ran them on Nick at Nite many years ago. I need to sit Brianna down and have a Brady marathon.

AS

Tammy said...

What would have been more groovy is if Lydia broke into song "It's time to change, time to rearrange....." while renaming her Webkinz!!

Long live the Brady Bunch reruns.