Over the years I've thought about how blessed she is with great Christmas memories. She's always been surrounded by family and friends in every direction. She's never woken up on Christmas morning and not found exactly what she requested from The Big Guy. Each year she's received more love, more presents, more candy and more Christmas cheer than some kids know in a lifetime. And somehow I tend to think she's got it better than I ever did. But that's not exactly true.
As I was looking through pictures of Christmases past I discovered I had it pretty good too. Sure, her dad is better than my dad was. And her mom doesn't work nearly as hard or sacrifice nearly as much as mine did. But I never woke up on Christmas morning disappointed.
Exhibit A:
Just look at this haul. I spy books, a tea set, a Barbie, a baby doll and a baby buggy. Not to mention a swell record player.
Exhibit B:
A tricycle and a rocking horse? Score!Exhibit C:
The Barbie Dreamhouse. Enough said.Exhibit D:
One of my favorite gifts ever. My musical jewelry box. And it might seem random but I do consider one of my best Christmas gifts ever to be the year my 6th grade teacher realized my promise as an actress and cast me as Mary in our production of "The Little Drummer Boy":
Basically I just stood there until the choir of angels (and shepherds) sand "Mary nodded...pa-rum-pa-pum-pum". Then, I nodded. With conviction. (I should also point out for comedy's sake that Joseph was played by a little boy named Joe T. Ingram. He had the filthiest mouth at Edgewood Elementary. I'm pretty sure he introduced me to the first curse words I ever heard. And the little drummer boy was played by a boy named Jimmy Carter, during the Carter administration no less.)
As it turns out Christmas has always been a time of blessing in my life. Of course, I had to wait 31 years to find the best gift under my tree:
Our family would like to wish each and every one the merriest of Christmases. We hope you find everything you've wished for under your tree. We hope you laugh until you cry and eat until you're stuffed. But mostly we hope that you remember the greatest gift of all.
Jesus. His name shall be called Jesus.
Merry Christmas!



3 comments:
Merry Christmas! Love you all! I love how Lydia is looking at you in that picture!! PRECIOUS!
I had that exact same jewelry box!
Merry Christmas, dear friend!
Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment