Saturday, December 12, 2009

Meeting Mary

I've been nursing a cold for a few days now and I've made it no secret to anyone coming in contact with me that I am miserable. I've also spent my entire Saturday cleaning in preparation for a long week full of Christmas activities. So on top of being sick, exhausted and covered in dust I had to venture out into the freezing cold to take the dog out. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get the mail. When I saw the return address label I suddenly didn't care how cold it was or how sick and dirty I was. I was about to meet her.

Today our highly anticipated letter from Amazima Ministries arrived. We applied for sponsorship a few months ago and prayed we find out about the little girl before Christmas. Prayer answered.

The information sheet says her name is Nabukeera. They have given her the English name Mary. She is 8 years old and lives with her Grandfather in a house made of bricks, mud and a tin roof. They are about 2 miles from the nearest water source and their main source of income is digging for food.

Mary's being treated for Malaria. Her favorite subject is English and her favorite pastime is "sweeping the compound."

And that put everything back into perspective for me.

I was a little disappointed there was no picture included until I found this behind her profile report:

It's going on the fridge right next to The Ocho's drawings as a reminder to me. I have a cold but Mary has Malaria. I have a dirty house but Mary's house is made of mud. If she can find joy in sweeping the compound, maybe I should too.

**They promise a photo is coming soon. I'll post it as soon as I get it.

post signature

6 comments:

Tammy said...

WONDERFUL!!! Congratulations!

Big Nanny said...

I can't wait to find her!

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Ok, crying and so excited for you! That is PRECIOUS!!!!! I am sure Lydia is thrilled! Cant wait to see her picture! :)

Ashley said...

How PRECIOUS!

Tabby said...

Love it! How sweet that it came right before Christmas and her name is "Mary". No coincidence I am sure. I will help Angela look for her..you might remind us to write her real name down though..that could be a hard one to remember..:-).

HunaBob said...

Isn't it amazing how God provides subtle and not-so-subtle reminders that we should always have a thankful heart? I'm excited for all of you as you develop a relationship with this young lady. I suspect you will find yourself gaining more from the relationship than you ever expected!