I wanted my 40th year to be a year full of meaningful moments. I wanted to take advantage of each experience God handed me and come away with something to give away. I wanted to spend more time listening to God than giving Him my list of requests. I wanted to pray more for others than for myself. I wanted to love my friends and family more deliberately. I wanted to make a concerted effort to take care of myself even if it meant I had to...gasp...exercise.
So, now the big 4-1 is fast approaching with the new year and I'm glancing back again. What do I see? I'm not sure I've done as well with all of it as I should have, but I do know I'm confident I've made some big improvements.
In order to take inventory as I have in years past, I've spent the last few days pouring over the pictures I've taken in the last 12 months and reading the blog posts I've written to prepare for this year-end summary and I think I can sum up 2009 with one word.
Surprises. Up until now I've not been a big fan. But I think I've changed my mind.
2009 started with 2 separate and equally amazing surprise birthday parties. I had an incredible college reunion with old friends who surprised me by how much they hadn't changed. There were, of course, the looks of surprise on The Ocho's face that gave me unspeakable joy. Like when she found out about The Jonas Brother's concert. And when she saw Glinda descend from the sky in "Wicked". And when she fed the swans in Florida.
I surprised myself by reading more and watching TV less. I surprised my friends by becoming more Facebook friendly. And I surprised everyone when I committed to the 30 day shred and completed it. (I'm still doing it by the way. I've lost 14 pounds so far. Yay Me.)
There was also the surprise of some friends traveling to Africa that eventually introduced me to a little girl named Mary.
And there was the sweetest surprise of a small rainbow in the sky on a cloudless day in November.
Perhaps the biggest surprise of all is that 40 turned out to be the best year of my life so far.
When I look back at 2009 here's what I'll remember: My Peeps wearing boas and singing "You Write The Songs". The Silver Platters and a serenade by Davy Jones. Selah's 80's skating party and Handiman's spot-on Flock of Seagulls hairdo. Walking along the beach at sunset with my Mom and daughter. J-Day with Flat Tasha. Getting a hug from Dr. Wilson. The RC Cola and a Moonpie Festival. My last children's musical as a teacher. The Ocho's first piano recital. Dancing and screaming like a lunatic for the JoBros. Being moved to tears during "Wicked" while watching Elphaba fly during "Defying Gravity". Kit Kittredge and The American Girl Store experience. The bling-bling posse. Ocho mowing the lawn. Taylor's sweet 16 and all the baby peeps in a row. Being on the lake with my girlfriends and Big Nanny's blue hair clip. Jim's 80th birthday party. Leading music in chapel. The big church hunt. The masquerade ball and a big slice of brie. The father/daughter dance. Charlie Brown Ice. Tammy The Christmas Sweater Lady. And finally, my snuggie.
When I blew out my birthday candles in January I wished for a good year. I would have never even thought to wish for as much goodness as I received.
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 4:20
Bring it on 2010. But I'm warning you. You've got big shoes to fill.


2 comments:
Love it! Love you! Happy New Year, Dave, Teresa and Lydia!!!
Tracey =)
I love when you do this! It makes me re-live my year too! Happy New Year and I can't wait for more memories with all of you. Hey, have you noticed that you have had many comments recently from Tracey, who does not read blogs? Just wondering!
Post a Comment