Monday, December 8, 2008

No Wonder.......I'm exhausted

After month's of Sunday night classes and 2 straight days of intense dress rehearsals, I took my place on the edge of the stage yesterday morning to feed lines and calm the nerves of anxious soloists.

For the first time in our church's history, the children's ministry was invited to present our Christmas musical in both morning worship services. It was a pretty big deal and not one that we took lightly. Our usual Sunday night crowd is mostly made of up of proud parents, doting grandparents and whiny siblings. They were all still very well represented yesterday but intermingled among them were church members without children who had forgotten that it was kid's musical Sunday and visitors taking in their usual holiday service. We desperately wanted to do well for their sakes. And I think we did.

I've had the task of teaching the Ocho's choir class this year. As much as I have complained about what a big commitment it is and how much time it takes up, I must say it's been a fun time. I've got a great group of kids. Not many hooligans or drama queens, which is a big shift from last years band of bandits. Since I'm pretty sure I'll be announcing my retirement at the end of this choir year, it will be nice to go out with such sweet memories.

Yesterday we had around 175 kids take the stage and sing, dance and act their little hearts out about the birth of Jesus. The musical was entitled "No Wonder" and the main message was taking the ministry outside the walls of the church.

As an added bonus, there was a video slide show at the end with pictures of our choir kids stuffing boxes for Operation Christmas Child (they collected enough stuff for 78 boxes!) along with photos of various kids doing different ministry projects with their families. A few weeks ago, the music ministry assistant asked if I would let them include some pictures of "Rebekah's Rainbow." I loved the look on the Ocho's face when she saw her face on the screen yesterday. It was also humbling and inspiring to see these kids learning at such a young age the responsibility they have to minister to those less fortunate.

My favorite lyric (sung sweetly by 2 first graders) went like this:

"Sometimes I get wrapped up in wrapped up things
The presents and surprises this season brings
But the toys break and the sweaters fade
And the things in the boxes get misplaced
I may be young but I'm old enough
To know my life's about more than all that stuff."


Now that is a good word. And it's made more powerful coming from the mouth of a six year old. This ministry might wear me completely out and test my nerves on more than a few occasions. But it also blesses me and ministers to me whether I want it to or not.




post signature

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm sure it was a WONDERFUL presentation! I love your t-shirts!!

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Once again, I must comment on what a perfect picture this is of you and Ocho. Really, whoever takes your pictures for you is just truly amazing. If only this person could take pictures of her own family just as well! And I must say, you forgot to mention your awesome, totally no musical ability, assistant who just continues to add drama to your life! Come on, it wouldnt be as much fun right? :) Oh that could make you laugh! I wouldn't do it with anyone else though!